9:00am - 12:00pm Aug 19-23 Ages guideline: 10-16*
LitWits is an approved vendor for Ocean Grove Charter School.
For years our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more!
This summer, we're showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories, inspired by
- sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
- inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers like J.R.R. Tolkien, Charlotte Bronte, Ray Bradbury, Natalie Babbitt, Ernest Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Allan Poe, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and many more!
- fun activities that show why certain techniques work
- engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
- narrative arc components and pacing
- powerful description techniques
- how to effect mood and tone
- interesting characterization methods
- how to increase and resolve tension
- intriguing metaphors and similes
- how to emulate the masters
- the power of our own voices
* Please don't let this age guideline scare you off. If your younger child can read and write and wants to attend, s/he's very welcome and will do just fine! Our activities are geared to accommodate a range of ages simultaneously. There is no prereading for this camp; we'll just be reading short excerpts we hand out in the workshop, as models and inspiration.
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. If your plans change, please let us know by August 12th, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
Making great books a memorable, hands-on experience for kids!
Workshops for ages 7+ and ages 10+
(click on the event to see the breakout times)
We also offer lit-based writing camps and teen Master Classes
It's amazing what kids can pick up while they're "just" having fun! Getting inside a story in sensory ways leads to incidental, natural learning.
Our workshops are joyful immersions in the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feel of a single pre-read book. Learning happens through prop-based discussion and creative activities.
LitWits is FUN - and leaves kids craving more great books!
Becky & Jenny