Sep 8-12 , 9:00am - 12:00pm
Ages* guideline: 9+
LitWits is an approved vendor for Ocean Grove Charter School.
Since 2010 our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more! In 2013 we introduced StoryWriting Camp, showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories. What masterpieces they wrote – and with such pride!
StoryWriting Camp is back this fall to inspire young writers with:
• sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
• inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers
• fun activities that show why certain techniques work
• engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
• narrative arc components and pacing
• powerful description techniques
• how to effect mood and tone
• interesting characterization methods
• how to increase and resolve tension
• intriguing metaphors and similes
• emulation of the masters
• the power of our own voices
* Please don't let this age guideline scare you off. If your younger child can read and write and wants to attend, s/he's very welcome and will do just fine! Our activities are geared to accommodate a range of ages simultaneously. There is no pre-reading for this camp; we'll just be reading short excerpts we hand out in the workshop, as models and inspiration.
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. If your plans change, please let us know by August 31st, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
Making great books a memorable, hands-on experience for kids!
LitWits makes literature an experience kids won’t forget -- which leads to incidental, natural learning. Our workshops are joyful immersions in the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feel of a single pre-read book. Learning happens through prop-based discussion and creative activities, including drama, art, writing, history, geography, science, and more!
When children learn with their senses, their enthusiasm and curiosity increase, and teachable moments abound. LitWits has been seizing those moments since 2010.