On February 13, The Atlantic and The Atlantic Cities will launch Start-Up City: Miami, gathering leading entrepreneurs and tech experts from London, New York, California, Kansas City, and more at the New World Center in Miami for a day of discussions about different aspects of the city’s innovation ecosystem. In partnership with the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and in association with the Creative Class Group, the inaugural program will explore the emerging models of "urban tech" taking root in cities around the world. For more information and to watch the program live stream, please visit the program website.
February 13, 2013 | New World Center | 500 17th Street | Miami Beach, FL 33139
9:00 am Opening Remarks: Matthew Haggman, Program Director, Knight Foundation
9:05 am Framing Remarks on Miami: The Entrepreneurial Mecca of the Future: Manny Diaz, Former Mayor, City of Miami
9:10 am Framing Remarks on The Urban Tech Revolution: Richard Florida, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
9:15 am Keynote Presentation on The City as the Start-Up: How to Jumpstart Movement: Tony Hsieh, Chief Executive Officer, Zappos
9:40 am Keynote Interview: Robin Chase, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Buzzcar,
in conversation with Richard Florida, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
10:20 am Panel Discussion: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
· Sam Arbesman, Senior Scholar in Research and Policy, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and Fellow, Institute for Quantitative Social Science at Harvard University
· Adriana Cisneros, Vice Chairman of the Board and Director of Strategy, Cisneros Group
· Brad Feld (via Skype), Author, Start-Up Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
· Eric Toone, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative, Duke University
11:00 am Design Roundtable: A New Start-Up Geography
· Niesen Kasdin, Former Mayor, Miami Beach
· Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, Dean, School of Architecture of University of Miami
11:45 am Networking Lunch
12:30 pm Urbanism Roundtable: The Urban Tech Shift – Lessons from New York and London
· Max Nathan, Co-Founder, Centre for Cities
· Neil Kleiman, Director, NYU Wagner Innovation Labs
1:15 pm Panel Discussion: Building a Transcontinental Tech Hub
· Marcelo Ballona, Founder, Submarino
· Juan Diego Calle, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, .co
· Juan Pablo Cappello, Co-Founder, idea.me
· Manny Medina, Founder, Terremark
2:10 pm Innovation Roundtable: Sparking Start-Up Success
· Susan Amat, Professor and Executive Director, “The Launch Pad” at the Toppel Career Center at the University of Miami
· Fernando Fabre, President, Endeavor
· Melissa Krinzman, Founder and Managing Director, Venture Architects
3:00 pm Keynote Interview: Tony Hsieh, Chief Executive Officer, Zappos in conversation with Richard Florida, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
3:45 pm Closing Keynote Interview: Steve Case (via Skype), Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Revolution in conversation with Alexis Madrigal, Senior Editor, The Atlantic
3:05 pm Concluding Remarks
Follow @Atlantic_LIVE on Twitter for programming updates and join the conversation online using #StartupMiami.
Note to Government Employees: In deference to the letter and spirit of applicable ethics regulations, this event is not intended for politically-appointed federal executive branch employees or for state and local government employees. A description of this event - written for government ethics office review - may be requested by writing Joanna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Partnership With
Since 1857, The Atlantic magazine has helped shape the national debate on the most critical and contentious issues of our times, from politics, business, and the economy, to technology, arts, and culture. Through in-depth analysis in the monthly print magazine, complemented by up-to-the-minute insights delivered throughout the day on theatlantic.com, The Atlantic provides the nation’s thought leaders and professional class with forward-looking, fresh perspectives that provoke and challenge, define and affect the lives we are living today, and give shape to the lives we will live tomorrow.
Join millions of people on Eventbrite.