November 12th, 2014
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
9882 S Santa Monica Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 90212
"Run, don't walk to sign up for Ian Blackburn's Stars of Cabernet tastings. We've been enormously impressed with the attendees, the venue, the logistics - all handled beyond exception with grace and elegance."
- Hawk and Horse Vineyards -
Registration Fee $900
*5 Spots Remain!
Since 1995, LearnAboutWine has grown to become the most trusted source for quality trade and consumer events in Southern California.
The STARS concept was built to be an efficient; quality oriented marketing focus for top quality brands. We find the best locations, invite only wine buyers and key press, and host an intimate consumer event that is oriented towards wine sales.
The Annual STARS of CAB will be a showcase of both well-known high tier producers and exciting new top quality brands. We invite relevant press and trade accounts to attend an effective trade tasting, and market and promote a successful consumer event with a charity benefactor (not a charity tasting – but a wine marketing event that benefits a charity). The events will benefit T.J. Martell Foundation - Leukemia, Cancer and AIDS Research.
VIP Guests Confirmed: Jean Hoefliger and Jonathan Pey
Jean Hoefliger, Winemaker, Alpha Omega Winery
(Second Year in a Row!!)
Jean Hoefliger was born and raised in Switzerland. His initial experience took him from Switzerland to Bordeaux, and South Africa, making wine at the esteemed estates of Chateau Lynch-Bages, Chateau Carbonnieux, and Meerlust. Completing a winemaking and viticulture degree at the Swiss federal school of Changins, Jean came to California where he spent five years as winemaker for Newton Vineyard before joining Alpha Omega. Jean's passion, knowledge, innate ability and scientific training puts him in a unique position to take the best grapes of Napa Valley and transform them into wines worthy of world class standing.
Jonathan Pey was born on the East Coast, growing up with a Dutch father. As a teenager Jonathan moved with his family to Paris, France for three years where his cheeseburger and Coca-Cola upbringing collided face-first with the culture of the fine wines of Burgundy and Bordeaux. These influences played important roles in swinging his interests toward the production fine wine.
Upon his return to America Jonathan earned a Bachelor of Science in Agronomy, a Masters in Business Administration and attended UC Davis winegrowing courses.
Since 1985 Jonathan has enjoyed a broad, successful career in the wine business, tasting, listening and learning while working with some of the leading winemakers in the world; Jacques Lardiére (Domâine Louis Jadot), Christian Moueix (Petrus), Peter Gago (Penfolds) and Mr. Robert Mondavi.
In 2004 Jonathan and his wife Susan founded TEXTBOOK where they today produce small lots of critically acclaimed Oakville, Rutherford and Napa Valley wines. Robert Parker recently noted; “TEXTBOOK is a serious winery with gems in its portfolio that consumers should keep their eyes on.”
CURRENT 2014 PARTICIPANTS
Ackerman Family Vineyards
Frank Family Vineyards
Alpha Omega with winemaker Jean Hoefliger
Alexander Valley Vineyards
Hawk and Horse
Niner Wine Estates
Mullan Road Cellars
TEXTBOOK with winemaker Jonathan Pey
O'Connell Family Wines
The Farm Winery
Gamble Family Vineyards
Rocca Family Wines
Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite)
Bell Wine Cellars
- This is not a charity event that attracts random consumers
- This is a quality, targeted wine marketing showcase with a charity benefactor
- We have worked for 15 years to build relationships with over 40,000 consumers
- We invite and discuss our tastings with over 2,300 trade accounts – one at a time
- Quality database of On and Off Premise accounts (Key Focus)
- We now charge non-buyers to attend our trade tastings
- We are working to improve the trade tasting experience and offering a low cost fee to non-buyers assists us in this process
- The fee is designed to separate BUYERS from non-buyers, not to allow for more profit. These events target buyers. Buyers want a better experience and enjoy being in a room of buyers, not random trade
- Brokers and distributors will be invited to help improve your distribution
- Distributor reps are not complimentary – only invited management
- Our events are limited in size and focus on top quality trade accounts and consumer audiences
A limited set of a maximum 45 selected vintners will share and benefit from this marketing effort. We invite winery executives, owners, and/or winemakers to be present and encourage you to have your area broker, distributor or representatives in attendance as well.
Sommelier Speed-Dating Luncheon from 12:00-2:00pm: New this year, we are introducing a Sommelier 'Speed-Dating' Luncheon. Wineries that attend this three course lunch will sit with select wine buyers and press personally invited by LearnAboutWine. At each course, the winery principal will switch tables to have time to meet several trade members throughout the lunch.
Trade Event from 2:00-5:00pm: LearnAboutWine will produce a highly effective trade event. Invitations will go to the top profiled restaurants, key hand-selling retailers, and invite only press. Our trade/media invite process is highly organized. Our efforts include the use of various media resources; including an extensive list of established contacts and the hard work of staying current with new accounts, buyers, and important cutting-edge points of distribution. A dedicated public relations firm invites only targeted accounts and works to expose this quality event to the world of magazines, TV, radio and blogosphere.
Consumer Event from 7:00-9:30pm: We are thrilled to once again fully produce a high-end, educationally focused consumer event, reaching out with marketing and PR to our 40,000 consumer database. This will be a significant effort and offers the consumers a great value, selling tickets for $150-250 per person.
REASONS TO PARTICIPATE
- Educate Southern California on your brand
- Efficiently meet top trade and consumer audiences
- Prestigious location and association – we invite the top producers to participate
- Wine Audience – we work hard to procure a great wine audience – wine buyers!
- Press coverage – magazine partners and possible TV placement of the event
- Social Media – we are leaders inside the social media space - as soon as you register, we will market your winery on social meda
- Top Trade Accounts – How much would you spend to see 150 accounts a day? How long would that take? Can you get those appointments made?
- Receive all contacts for trade and consumer after the event
Maison 140 has extended exceptional room rates to our wineries for this event. Rooms are on reserve under the group block name: LearnAboutWine. Maison 140 is directly across the street from the Peninsula. Please contact reservations to reserve a room; Any issues please refer to Chris Matsumoto. Tel: 310-281-4004
It is our goal at LearnAboutWine to produce high quality, well-executed, efficient and effective events. We hold our standards and values very high in order to give everyone involved the best opportunity to succeed. Please take this to heart, as we do, and assist us in marketing this event, your brands, and WINE! Please come ready to teach each client about your brand and have them walk away with a taste of your great product.
We ask that no winery arrive late or leave the event early for any reason – we will make sure the event is well attended and ask for your support.
Please add this event to your website, Facebook page, blog, and other social networking avenues. Tweet if you're on Twitter!
FIND US AND FOLLOW US @LEARNABOUTWINE
Please alert your broker, distributor, and sales team about the Trade Tasting from 2pm-5pm. They are of great assistance in getting your supporters and buyers in the house to see you!
Please let your mailing lists, web clients, and tasting room guests know about the evening Consumer Tasting.
Please be aware of hosting competing events in the same market during the same period of time.
Thank you in advance for your efforts!
Praise for STARS Events!
"I know what it takes to make an event look smooth as silk to the outside world, and you all did an amazing job! From the lunch right through to the always dreaded/questionable consumer tasting, you pulled together a truly valuable platform for us to introduce our wine. Thank you and I look forward to future events. "
- Ursula Hermacinski, (Formerly with Screaming Eagle)
“I can’t think of a more appropriately named team. Everything that Learn About Wine does is educational. Even to the most wine knowledgeable (included the most jaded professional wine buyer or wine collector) there is always something new and interesting – a discovery around every corner.”
- Michael L. Updegraff, Updegraff Marketing – Consultant to the wine industry
"I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed the tasting last night. I attend a lot of tastings, and you should know that you guys did a first class job all the way across the board."
- Mike Campbell, Hospitality & Events Coordinator, Pride Mountain Vineyards
(To see more photos from last year STARS of CAB Events: CLICK HERE)