Learning SQL Server Integration Services
Cost: $99 (before May 15)
Presenter: MS SQL MVP Andy Leonard
A Day of SSIS was developed by Andy Leonard to train technology professionals in the fine art of using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to build data integration and Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) solutions.
The training is focused around lectures and emphasizes a practical approach.
The target audience for this training is database professionals, application developers, and business intelligence practitioners interested in acquiring or expanding their existing SSIS skill set.
No experience with SQL Server or SQL Server Integration Services is required before attending this training.
It is helpful (but not required) that students possess some knowledge of and experience with relational databases. SQL Server knowledge / experience will be more helpful than experience and knowledge with other technologies.
At the conclusion of the training, attendees will have been exposed to:
· Using SSIS to develop data integration solutions.
· Using SSIS to load a database table.
· Troubleshooting real-world SSIS Data Flow Task errors.
· Deploying SSIS Solutions.
· Managing, monitoring, and administering SSIS in the enterprise.
Lesson 0: Introduction
· Training overview, expectations, and introductions.
Lesson 1: Creating Your First SSIS package
· Introduction to Business Intelligence Development Studio. Visual Studio tips and tricks, menu contents and locations.
Lesson 2: Introduction to the Data Flow Task
· Introduction to the Data Flow Task. Connection Manager and Data Flow Task basics - source and destination adapters.
Lesson 3: The Control Flow
· Containers, Precedence, and Work flow.
· Transactions, restart-ability, and blocking.
Lesson 4: Loop Containers
· Using Sequence, For Loop, and Foreach Loop Containers.
Lesson 5: Event Handlers, Logging, and Configurations
· Using SSIS’s built-in logging facility to capture package execution details and statistics.
· Using built-in package configurations to externalize variable values.
Lesson 6: Security, Deployment, and Execution
· SSIS Package deployment options and security implications.
· Execution options.
Lesson 7: ETL Design Patterns
· Leveraging less-documented features of SSIS along with the Parent-Child design pattern to achieve “hands-free” custom logging and creative custom configuration. ETL Instrumentation.
Lesson 8: Enterprise Execution Patterns
· Leveraging the Parent-Child design pattern to build a metadata-driven SSIS execution engine.
When & Where
SQL Saturday #77 A Day of SSIS
This pre-conference event is being prepared and hosted in conjunction with SQL Saturday #77 by Karla Landrum and Andy Leonard.