San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Updated October 24, 2012
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!
Thanks to all the developers who came out to the event! The 35 apps you demoed were fantastic. Congratulations go out to all of the winners:
Best in Show Finalists:
- Aprentica Live
- Facebook Artist
CALLING ALL MOBILE DEVELOPERS!
Join the Sprint Developer Program and WIP on Tuesday, October 23 in San Jose for the official hackathon of the Sprint Open Solutions Conference. Sprint wants to see your best apps, and has stacks of cash and devices for prizes -- and the top app will get special recognition during Thursday evening's keynote with Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. You'll get a chance to meet and get direct support from the Sprint Developer Program, as well as a host of great API and developer tool providers. All attendees will also get a code to register for FREE for the Sprint Open Solutions Conference ($350 value) when they attend the hackathon (these codes will be distributed onsite)!
Whatever your platform of choice or your area of expertise, you're welcome to join the fun (and if you don't have a team, we'll help you find one). The categories for the competition will be (subject to change):
- Best in Show, sponsored by Sprint - the top overall app will win great prizes and be recognized during Sprint CEO Dan Hesse's Thursday evening keynote address.
Prize: 1st Place - $7000; 2nd Place - $2000; 3rd Place: $1000!
- Best NFC App, sponsored by Kovio - show us what you can do with NFC in any type of app, not just payments!
Prize: $2000 cash
Kovio will provide NFC tags for your use during the hackathon, and Samsung will also provide a limited number of NFC-enabled Android devices for use during the hackathon.
Android app for interacting with tags available here
- Best HTML5/Hybrid App, sponsored by Adobe - HTML5 is the next big thing, but lots of you are kicking butt with it already, so show us what you can do!
Prize: 1-year subscription to the Adobe Master Collection.
- Best Samsung S Pen SDK App, sponsored by Samsung - Compete to create unique UI experiences using the S Pen SDK. Veterans and newbies can enter and demonstrate how to bring their apps to a new level, using Samsung’s world class offerings.
Prize: Up to 5 Samsung Galaxy Note II devices for the winning team.
Samsung will provide a limited number of Galaxy Note II devices for developers to use during the hackathon.
- Best Commerce App, sponsored by Sequent - Sell us something! Show us apps that integrate with mobile wallets, make mobile payments or offer the best retail experience.
Prize: Penthouse Box Party for 12 at a San Jose Sharks game.
- Best Use of Mobile Advertising, sponsored by Amobee - Successfully using mobile ads in your app means more than just slapping them in as an afterthought. We want to see the apps that most effectively use ads with the best UX. Use the new Sprint Pinsight Media+ platform!
Prize: $2000 worth of Amazon Gift Cards
Sprint is providing its new Pinsight Media+ SDK for use in this category, you can download the Android SDK, and a quick start guide, from here.
iOS SDK here
- Best use of Jibe SDK – show what you can do “app-to-app” with Jibe’s platform for creating a new class of real-time, connected mobile applications. Find out more about the Jibe App-to-App platform here, or visit the Jibe developer portal for more info and Request to be a Developer with Invite Code: OSCHACK2012.
Prize: $2000 cash to the winning team.
Stay tuned for more special categories and prizes from our partners, including:
- Best App Using the Crittercism SDK
Prize: $1000 worth of Crittercism services
Learn more about the Crittercism SDK and how to win with it in the hackathon here.
- Best Use of a Mashery API
Prize: Jawbone Jambox, shirts, mugs, beer opener USB sticks and other giveaways.
- Best Use of a Neustar Information Services API
Prize: $1000 in Amazon Gift Cards
- Best Use of Facebook in a Mobile App
Prize: $1000 of Facebook advertising credit
Learn more about using Facebook in your app and how to win here.
- Best App Using the Walgreens QuickPrints SDK*
Prize: $1000 cash
Learn more about the QuickPrints SDK and how to win with it here.
- Best Evernote API Integrations
Prize: Fujitsu ScanSnap, Evernote Premium cards and custom developer shirts.
Learn more about the Evernote API and how to win with it here.
- Best Apps Using the Sprint Location or SMS APIs
Click on the “Sign Up” icon to get access to sandbox in advance of the event. Sandbox credentials provide you the necessary access to Sprint APIs such as network based location, SMS/MMS, Presence, Geofence and Privacy management APIs.
Prize: Sprint Galaxy S3 devices
- GitHub - Free repositories for participating hackers and prizes to category winners!
- James Pearce - Head of Mobile Developer Relations, Facebook
- Alberto Yépez - Managing Director, Trident Capital
- Kevin McGinnis - Vice President - Product Platforms, Sprint
For your $20 registration fee, you'll receive:
- A chance to win over $25,000 in cash and prizes
- a FREE registration for the Sprint Open Solutions Conference (a $350 value)
- A free laptop backpack, courtesy of Skyfire (while supplies last)
- A hackathon t-shirt (while supplies last)
- Meals and snacks during the hackathon
- Freebies and giveaways from our partners
- And more!
- 9:00am - Registration Opens
- 10:00am - Welcome and Introduction, Category and Competition Review, Lightning Talks from API/Tool Partners
- 11:30am - Lunch (provided) + Apps Clinic - get advice and feedback on your app concept from Sprint and partner experts
- 1:00pm - Official start of coding!
- 6:00pm - Evening reception/dinner
- 9:00pm - Venue closes for the evening. You can keep on coding, you'll just need to find your own spot to do it!
- 9:00am - Sprint OSC Opening Keynote from Fared Adib, Sprint VP Product
- 10:00am - Hackathon venue reopens for the day
- 12:00pm - Apps are due! We'll have lunch and start the demos.
- 2:00pm (TBC) - Category winners and Best in Show Finalists are announced
- 4:00pm - Best in Show Winner announced during evening keynote with Sprint CEO Dan Hesse
|Samsung Developers exists to engage with the developer community by providing the tools and support necessary to help app developers be successful, including hosting and sponsoring developer events, online tools, device loaner program, contests and meetups.|
Sprint offers customers access to thousands of apps and data services and a variety of award-winning smartphones that use Android, iOS, RIM, and Microsoft Windows® platforms. Sprint views the developer community as a forum for creativity and ensuring choice for customers. The company invests in technology and processes that enable developers to have access to important capabilities unique to Sprint’s networks, and Sprint offers access to a breadth of APIs to make apps richer. The Sprint Developer Program was established in 2001, and Sprint views open collaboration with developers as critical to ensuring continued evolution and success of the program.
Visit http://developer.sprint.com to learn more about the Sprint Developer Program and to take advantage of the resources and tools available to developers.
|Adobe makes tools that enable designers and developers to share their creativity with the world. The advent of sophisticated graphical and interactive features has made it possible for the web to deliver highly engaging experiences. For Adobe, that means the need for new suite "Edge Tools & Services" Learn more at http://html.adobe.com|
[a•mo•bee] offers comprehensive mobile advertising solutions to the largest mobile operators, publishers, and advertisers. [a•mo•bee]’s advanced, proprietary mobile advertising technology delivers all forms of mobile advertising—from a simple text message to a rich media experience—supporting the vast array of connected devices in the marketplace.
Kovio designs, develops, and makes printed silicon semiconductor products for NFC, RFID, and Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) markets. Kovio NFC tags are used around the world in mobile marketing/advertising, retail operations, ticketing, and other applications. Visit www.kovio.com to learn more.
Jibe’s App-to-App platform enables the creation of a new class of connected mobile applications where users can see, hear, chat, share files, play and work with each other. Developers can access a single, cross carrier virtual network presented through an easy-to-use SDK. Developers publish one version of their application, to enable real-time capabilities anywhere in the world.
Sequent provides the Trusted Services Manager (TSM) software and services platform on behalf of the mobile operator. Sequent Secure Element Management provides the trust infrastructure to manage the credentials in the secure element. Sequent’s App Enablement Platform makes it possible for any authorized app to use any credentials stored in the secure element.
|Crittercism, based in San Francisco, California, is the world’s first mobile app performance management (APM) solution that offers a real-time global view of app diagnostics across iOS, Android and HTML5 on over 125 million unique devices and 3 billion app loads. Learn more @crittercism and www.crittercism.com.|
Our goal at Evernote is to help the world remember everything, communicate effectively and get things done. From saving thoughts and ideas to preserving experiences to working efficiently with others, Evernote’s collection of apps make it easy to stay organized and productive.
Founded in February 2004, Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected. With a global community of over 901 million people, Facebook offers individuals and businesses a way to express their identities, tell their stories and build meaningful connections with one another. Anyone can sign up for Facebook and interact with the people they know in a trusted environment.
|GitHub is version control for software development and so much more. Whether it's a weekend side project, your favorite open source library, a startup destined for glory, or your company's app, GitHub helps everyone work together with tools for easier collaboration and more visibility. Check it out — open source is free!|
Neustar® Information Services provides accurate and current consumer and business data — including these unique Identifiers: name, address, phone and IP address — linked to unique attributes to instantly identify, locate, contact or gain in-depth insight on consumers using a 10-digit phone number. Developers can access the Identifiers and attributes to develop apps that rely on real-time, contact centric data.
Mashery is the world's leading API management company, powering platforms for more than 150 companies worldwide — including Best Buy, ESPN, USA TODAY, Klout, Rdio, Rotten Tomatoes, The New York Times, Trulia, D&B and Expedia.
The QuickPrints SDK (for iOS and Android) is the debut offering from the Walgreens Developer Program. QuickPrints will give the ability for mobile application developers to allow their customers to print photos to any one of the 7900+ Walgreens locations and have the ability to earn a revenue share commission.
When & Where
Sprint Developer Program / WIP
Sprint offers customers access to thousands of apps and data services and a variety of award-winning smartphones that use Android, iOS, RIM and Microsoft Windows® platforms. Sprint views the developer community as a forum for creativity and ensuring choice for customers. The company invests in technology and processes that enable developers to have access to important capabilities unique to Sprint’s networks, and Sprint offers access to a breadth of APIs to make apps richer. The Sprint Developer Program was established in 2001, and Sprint views open collaboration with developers as critical to ensuring continued evolution and success of the program.
Visit http://developer.sprint.com to learn more.
The Wireless Industry Partnership (WIP) builds mobile developer communities. WIP is the connector in the mobile industry, supporting the overall ecosystem by encouraging discussions, co-creation and exchange. It makes the path easier for mobile developers/ISVs, to reduce cycle times and increase innovation in the mobile ecosystem. Learn more at http://www.wipconnector.com/.