Spring 2014 Wild Beast Concert Series - CalArts Capitol Sessions: The First 25 Years
Saturday, April 19, 2014 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
CalArts Jazz at Capitol Studios: 25-Year Anniversary Reunion Concert
with Ravi Coltrane, Ralph Alessi, Peter Epstein, James Carney and Darek Oles
Celebrated jazz artists Ravi Coltrane, Ralph Alessi, Peter Epstein, James Carney and Darek Oles reunite for a special outdoor concert to mark the 25th anniversary of the annual CalArts Jazz Program recording made at iconic Capitol Studios in Hollywood. All five alumni had appeared on the inaugural “CalArts Jazz CD,” which in 1990 began the unprecedented long-term collaboration between a major label and an educational institution. Opening for Coltrane, Alessi and company are students drawn from the Jazz Program’s current ranks, performing an eclectic selection of new original compositions from the 2014 edition of the CalArts Jazz CD.
Concert will be held at The Wild Beast music pavilion on the CalArts campus.
Concertgoers are invited to bring their own blankets and lawn chairs for open lawn seating in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard.
Concerts at the Wild Beast concert pavilion are FREE with lawn seating.
Saturday, April 19, 4 p.m.
What You Should Know
- Free concerts and free parking: The concerts and the parking are free, but we do encourage you to register with Eventbrite and to carpool if possible.
- Open lawn seating in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard: Bench-seating is limited and available on a first-come, first- served basis. We encourage you to bring your own lawn chairs and blankets.
- Picnics welcome: The lawn outside of The Wild Beast Music Pavilion is a perfect place for a picnic. Come an hour early and grab that prime spot on the lawn. Please leave the alcohol at home, however; open containers are not allowed on the CalArts campus.
- Family-friendly: The environment for and content of The Wild Beast Concert Series is safe and appropriate for family enjoyment.
- Dress warmly: Each concert lasts approximately 90 minutes and the evening air may get chilly.
The Wild Beast Music Pavilion and the S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard
California Institute of the Arts
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, CA 91355
This outdoor music series—free to the community—offers afternoon/evening concerts on the lawn, spotlighting several genres within The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts.
In May 2010, The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts officially dedicated its new indoor/outdoor music venue, The Wild Beast and The S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard. The pavilion opened with a festive evening under the stars that celebrated CalArts' 40th anniversary, and brought more than 500 people from across the Santa Clarita Valley together for dynamic performances by the CalArts World Percussion Ensemble and CalArts Latin Jazz Ensemble.
Building on the momentum created on that magical evening, CalArts has established The Wild Beast Concert Series.
Sponsors of The Wild Beast Concert Series
Official Piano of The Wild Beast