The first-ever Sports PR Summit, will take place on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at the MLB Fan Cave in New York City.
The half-day Summit will allow Sports PR executives from the various pro sports leagues, the collegiate ranks, sports corporations and PR firms the opportunity to come together in one location for panel discussions, strategy development and networking. Senior PR executives from the NFL. NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, UFC, PGA Tour, NASCAR and NCAA will be in attendance as well as PR executives from companies such as Wasserman Media, CAA, adidas, Under Armour, Red Bull, Time Warner Cable and UStream.
Hear dynamic panel discussions and best practices covering topics such as:
- The Risks and Rewards of Social Media Communications - Strategies for the best ways to engage on Social Media and how to avoid pitfalls. Panelists to include: Matt Bourne (@MLBPR) VP of Business PR for MLB; Erik Christianson (@ErikNCAA), Managing Director of External Affairs for the NCAA; Lauren Teague (@LaurenTee), Social Media Manager for the PGA Tour; Dan Courtemanche (@CourtemancheMLS), MLS Executive VP of Communications; and Bill Sanders (@BillSanders), CMO, BDA Sports.
- Media Roundtable - Roundtable panel discussion featuring reporters talking about how they work with PR people. Discussion will be centered around reporter likes and dislikes, what they look for in story pitches, how they are utilizing social media and how social media has changed their job. Panelists scheduled to include: Ric Bucher (@RicBucher) of NBC Sports, Comcast and 95.7FM The Game in San Francisco; Jon Wertheim (@Jon_Wertheim), Executive Editor and Senior Writer for Sports Illustrated; Shira Springer (@ShiraSpringer) of the Boston Globe and LZ Granderson (@Locs_N_Laughs), Senior Writer for ESPN the Magazine and columnist for CNN.com.
- Athlete Roundtable - Elite athletes Brian Grant (Retired NBA star @BWGrant), Marlon Anderson (Retired MLB star @MarlonAnderson8), Paul Rabil (MLL star @PaulRabil) and Jeff Agoos (Retired MLS star and Olympian/World Cup member @JeffAgoos) will discuss what they think of PR people and share insight on how PR people can work more effectively with athletes.
- Entertainment PR Case Study - Featuring Michael Nyman (@MNymanPMKBNC), Chairman and CEO of PMK-BNC (clients include Jimmy Kimmel, Amy Poehler, Zooey Deschanel).
The panel discussions will run from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Following the panels, there will be a networking reception (lasting until approximately 6pm ET) where attendees can network with their industry peers and tour the MLB Fan Cave (a venue that is open on an invite-only basis). Iron Chef Beau Macmillan (@ChefBeauMac) will be on hand to prepare world-class food and drinks for our attendees.
All Sports PR Summit attendees will also receive a special gift.
Sports PR Summit Steering Committee Members include:
- Matt Bourne - VP of Business PR for Major League Baseball
- Erik Christianson - NCAA Managing Director of External Affairs
- Dan Courtemanche - Executive VP Communications, Major League Soccer
- Ric Bucher - Veteran Broadcaster, Journalist and Author/Partner with media/social media training firm Everything is on the Record
- Christine Brennan - Veteran Broadcaster, Columnist and Author - USA Today/NPR/ABC News
- Mike Golub - COO, Portland Timbers (MLS)
- Bill Sanders - CMO, BDA Sports (BDA Clients include Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo and Yao Ming)
- Joe Favorito - Strategic PR Veteran, former Executive with New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers
- John Lashway - President, Lashway Communications - Longtime NBA and NHL Senior PR Executive
- Brian Berger - Co-Founder, Everything is on the Record media/social media training firm/Host, Sports Business Radio - CEO/Founder of the Sports PR Summit
NOTE: Registration is non-transferable. You must work in or around the sports or PR industry to attend the Sports PR Summit and this event is limited to the first 100 executives who register.
No refunds will be granted after May 8, 2013 at 5pm EST (two weeks prior to the Sports PR Summit).
Follow the Sports PR Summit on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SportsPRSummit and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SportsPRSummit
Have questions about Sports PR Summit?
Contact Brian Berger