(Click here for info on Saturday, June 1 Intensive in Hartford, CT.)
BOSTON SPEEDLITER'S INTENSIVE™
Learn to Craft Great Light with Canon Speedlites
This one-day seminar focuses exclusively on creating great light with Canon Speedlites. You’ll get the how-to and why-to specific to your Canon gear. It’s called ‘Intensive’ for a reason—a ton of information will be headed your way all day.
Taking the Mystery and Confusion Out of Canon Speedlites
Canon flash photography need not be confusing or frustrating. The keys to creating striking images with flash are: (1) manage the ambient light with your shutter, (2) get your flash off the top of your camera, and (3) modify the shape of the light to fit your vision. Even if you have just one Speedlite, you can create beautiful photos without a load of extra gear.
For Beginners and Pros Alike
This seminar is for anyone who wants to learn how to get their Speedlite(s) off the top of their camera and to start crafting well-lit photographs. Regardless of whether you’re a novice with one Speedlite or an experienced shooter with many Speedlites, your Speedlite technique will jump to the next level after investing a day at the Speedliter’s Intensive™.
The Speedliter's Intensive Workbook
The Speedliter’s Intensive™ presents so much information that at some point you’ll probably think, “I can’t absorb one more detail.” Don’t worry. Most of the note taking has already been done for you. Every attendee will receive a 70-page workbook that ties the day's presentations to specific pages in Syl’s best-selling books: the Speedliter's Handbook and Lighting for Digital Photography. The workbook also includes detailed info about new gear and techniques, such as Canon’s 600EX-RT Speedlite system, and checklists for Syl's lighting workflows.
Bring your copies of Syl's Speedliter's Handbook and Lighting for Digital Photography. He will be happy to autograph them (order the books here on Amazon).
CAMERA and SPEEDLITING FUNDAMENTALS—Morning Topics
- Fundamentals of Light / Daylight Cycle / Looking at Light
- Light Source Color Temperature / Camera White Balance
- How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
- Which Canon Speedlite is Best for You?
- Creative Uses for Shutter, Aperture, and ISO
- Selecting a Camera Exposure Mode: P, Av, Tv, Manual
- How to Use Your Camera's Histogram for Exposure and Lighting Decisions
- Choosing a Speedlite Mode: E-TTL, Manual, Multi, External, and the new Group Mode
- How to Control Your Speedlite From the LCD on Your Camera
ADVANCED SPEEDLITING—Afternoon Topics
- Best Modifiers for Speedlites (Large and Small)
- Ways to Trigger an Off-Camera Speedlite
- Powering Your Speedlite: Batteries, Chargers, and External Packs
- How to Use Speedlites Outdoors in Bright Sun—High-Speed Sync
- How to Use Speedlites in Dim Light—Second-Curtain Sync
- Going Wireless with Canon Optical Slaves (580EX, 430EX, etc.)
- Going Wireless with Canon Radio Slaves (600EX-RT)
- Lighting Portraits With Speedlites—With One Speedlite and Multiple Speedlites
- Mixing Speedlites With Monolights and Strobes
- Using Gels for Color Correction and Color Effects
- Tips for Event, Wedding, and Sports Photographers
- Event Format: Syl will share his insights on Speedliting through talks, demos, and multimedia presentations from several of his more noteworthy location shoots. Although there is not enough time for students to shoot during the day, you are encouraged to bring a DSLR and Speedlite so that you can follow along with the button and dial demonstrations.
- Lunch: Lunch will be on your own. There are several food joints nearby.
- Refunds: We understand that life happens. For tickets purchased prior to May 10, 2013, we will provide a refund, if requested prior to May 10, 2013. No refunds will be provided for tickets purchased on or after May 10, 2013. If something comes up in your schedule, you may give your ticket to a friend. Just send us an email before the event date to let us know the details.
Syl Arena freely admits that he is obsessed with light—seeing it, capturing it, and sharing it. A lifelong shooter, Syl is the author of the international best-sellers Speedliter's Handbook and Lighting for Digital Photography.
Syl is a popular workshop instructor who teaches internationally. During the past year he has taught for Santa Fe Photo Workshops, Maine Media Workshops, Paso Robles Workshops, and Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai. In April 2013, Syl will lead a photo tour to Cuba.
Syl often writes about Speedliting on his blog, PixSylated. He has also produced a number of articles about his Speedliting techniques for the Canon Professional Network. You can see his portfolio on SylArena.com.
EVENT VENUE—Our Boston area Speedliter's Intensive workshop is going to be held at the Courtyard Boston Downtown/Tremont at 275 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116 (617-426-1400). There's parking available in the building, but there is less expensive parking found at garages in the immediate vicinity, see here.
SPONSORS—the Speedliter's Intensive tour is made possible through the generous support of the following companies.
When & Where
Syl Arena / PixSylated.com
Syl Arena is the leading authority on squeezing every ounce of creativity from Canon Speedlites. His 'Speedliter's Handbook' has been translated into six languages and remains an international bestseller.