SPANISH FOR COUNSELORS
Saturday, October 22, 2016 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
SINGLE-DAY WORKSHOP: CONDUCTING THERAPY IN SPANISH AND
WORKING WITH THE LATINO POPULATION
Registration $99 Continuing Education Hours: 6
Purpose: The Latino population is rapidly growing in Southern California and the demand for mental health services is increasing as well. There are mental health providers who have a basic understanding of the Spanish language but do not have the psychological terminology or comfort to conduct therapy in Spanish. This workshop teaches the therapist how to interact with a Spanish-speaking patient from the initial contact to the termination session. It also teaches the therapist themes and issues to work effectively with the Latino population
1. Practice how to respond to Spanish-Speaking patients who seek psychological services.
2. Use various forms including personal information form, consent form, and release/exchange of information form.
3. Execute an initial interview in Spanish and ask questions as part of a mental status examination.
4. Practice Spanish translations for common psychological terms, such as those in the DSM-IV-TR OR DSM-V.
5. Describe various treatment modalities and major theoretical orientations that exist in psychology.
6. Develop a treatment plan in Spanish.
7. Practice how to terminate therapy with a patient and/or transfer a patient to another therapist as well as know how to make recommendations and referrals.
8. Describe themes and issues pertaining to the Latino culture that may arise in therapy.
Target Audience: MUST HAVE BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE SPANISH LANGUAGE
1. Psychologists, Marriage and Family Therapists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Counselors
3. University Faculty and staff
4. Students, Trainees, Interns
Presenter: Veronica Gutierrez, Ph.D. is a psychologist who works in a community clinic. She is bilingual in English and Spanish. She used to teach Spanish for Psychologists at Alliant International University in San Diego, CA.
Recommended Book (can be purchased through Amazon.com): Gutierrez, V., Rafiee, C., Bartelma, E.K., & Guerra, V. (2010). An English-Spanish Manual for Mental Health Professionals. Createspace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN-10: 1453777199 ISBN-13: 978-1453777190
Contact Information/Registration: Veronica Gutierrez, Ph.D., 100 E. San Marcos Blvd, Suite 400, San Marcos, CA 92069 / 760-712-6833 / Info@SpanishforCounselors.com / www.SpanishforCounselors.com
Spanish for Counselors / Veronica Gutierrez, Ph.D. is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Spanish for Counselors / Veronica Gutierrez, Ph.D. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Spanish for Counselors / Veronica Gutierrez, Ph.D. is approved by the National Board of Certified Counselors to Offer Continuing Education for Counselors (Provider #2424).
Licensees from the California Board of Behavioral Sciences may take continuing education hours from the following entities:
1. An accredited or approved postsecondary institution that meets the requirements set forth in Business and Professions Code Sections 4980.54(f)(1), 4989.34, 4996.22(d)(1), or 4999.76(d).
2. A Board‐recognized approval agency or a continuing education provider that has been approved or registered by a board recognized approval agency for continuing education listed in California Code of Regulations Section 1887.4.1.
3. An organization, institution, association, or other entity that is recognized by the Board as a continuing education provider as listed in California Code of Regulations Section 1887.4.3.
Save This Event
When & Where
SPANISH FOR COUNSELORS / VERONICA GUTIERREZ, PH.D.