Idlewild’s language courses are practical and fun, and were recently included in the "Best of New York 2012" issue of New York Magazine.
The classes are taught in our beautiful bookstore, not a stuffy classroom, and are limited to 14 students each.
Our Spanish for Beginners classes are taught by Juan Vallejo, a native of Colombia. Susana has several years' experience teaching Spanish, including privately and at language schools including Berlitz, and uses a dynamic, participatory method that gets students talking from the very first class.
Is this class for you?
Our Spanish for Beginners course is an introduction to the Spanish language, with an emphasis on Latin American Spanish. The course is intended for people who are absolute beginners, or who studied Spanish a long time ago and want to brush up on the basics. The course includes presentation and practice of the following situations and grammar topics:
- meetings and introductions
- talking about yourself (nationality, profession, family, likes and dislikes, etc)
- asking and giving directions
- ordering in a restaurant
- basic conjugations of -ar, -er, and -ir verbs, and common irregular verbs
- describing actions in the present tense
- describing actions in the past tense
- numbers and their applied use (prices, dates, years, etc)
- definite articles and indefinite articles
- gender, plurals, possessives, and adjective/noun agreement
- forming and answering questions
- basic prepositions describing location
- comparatives and superlatives
Each of the ten lessons includes teacher presentation and student participation, including pair or group work.
- This course is 10 weeks long and will meet for 60 minutes per weekly session.
- Class size is limited to 14 people.
- The beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate courses follow a text (not included in the course price but available to students for the discounted price of around $18).
- There are no make-up classes. On the first day of class, each student will receive a syllabus that lists the weekly assignments so you can keep up with your studies if you have to miss a class.
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least seven days before the start date of your class to receive a refund.
If you wish to postpone your registration to a later session, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least three days before the start date of your class to receive a credit toward a future session (good for one year).
Idlewild is an international bookstore with locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Our language classes were named "Best of New York" by New York Magazine and are taken by more than 3000 New Yorkers every year.