Do you have a favorite soup recipe that you’d love to share? Yes, I do!
Do you like to eat and talk about good, clean, fair food? Me, too!
And perhaps you have a new recipe that you’ve being meaning to try out? Me, three!
Slow Food Sacramento invites you to sign up for our first ever Soup Swap, scheduled for Wednesday, December 8, 2010 from 6:00 to 7:30pm. The event is $5 and we’re limited to the first 25 to sign up and therefore request that only committed soup swappers sign up.
The event’s mid-Sacramento location will be provided when you sign up.
Here are the Chef rules:
- Prepare your most delicious soup using Slow Food (good, clean, fair) ingredients. Then package the three (3) quarts of soup in quart-sized containers and freeze. It is ok to have one, two or more kinds soups as long as you provide three Quarts total in quart-sized containers.
- Label your 3 quart-sized soup containers with name of soup and ingredients. If your soup is vegetarian, vegan, and/or especially spicy, please indicate on label.
- All types of soup are great, though some soups don’t freeze particularly well, potato and cream soups for example. Up to each chef to decide soup recipes.
- Arrive on time (6:00 pm) and place your quart containers of soup on display. Keep your box or bags handy for the trip home.
- Enjoy some appetizers, a glass of wine and discuss your special creation with fellow Slow Food friends.
6. About 6:45, we’ll place numbers in a hat equal in number to the participants and then each person will draw a number.
7. “Telling of the Soup”: We’ll then go around the room and introduce ourselves, and our soups. Be ready to describe your soup in 20 seconds or less. Is it organic? It is spicy? Does it have anything someone might not be able to eat? Is it a treasured recipe?
8. Number 1 picks the first soup, Number 2 the second and so on, until everyone has selected a soup. Repeat until all the soup is gone.
- Everyone should now be leaving with the same amount of soup, but now it is a wonderful mix of soup!
- Enjoy your new soups and think ahead about next Soup Swap.
Note: Note to Vegetarians and Vegans - you may only get back a certain number of veggie/vegan soups and may be left with a few meat soups to give to friends.
When & Where
Slow Food Sacramento
Slow Food Sacramento is the Sacramento region's convivium, or chapter, of Slow Food USA. We are an active, all-volunteer chapter that hosts a wide range of educational and convivial events throughout the year to introduce you to the producers and creators of some of the region's outstanding foods, farms, and restaurants. You'll meet the leaders who champion locally and sustainably produced vegetables, fruits, wines, meats, and cheeses. You'll become part of a network to improve access to good, clean, and fair food for all in the Sacramento region.