San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Eden Hackathon Benilde is a one-day hackathon presented by SMARTDevNet (SMART Developer Network), SMART Communications Inc.'s developer community for its technology platform, DevCon (Developer Connect) and De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde in cooperation with its Information Systems Department, Project Management (PRJ-MGT) Section TO0B and the Association of Information Management (AIM). Eden Hackathon Benilde focuses on the Eden PHP library created by OpenOvate ( http://eden.openovate.com) which allows developers to do rapid prototyping in PHP for Internet Platforms and APIs for popular services like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google Drive, Google g+, PayPal and Amazon. We're inviting PHP developers to experience the power of the Eden PHP Library and show off the what they can do!
Eden Hacakthon Benilde is open to all developers: students, teachers and professionals. This is a FREE event, no charge for admission, but registration is required.
HOW TO JOIN THE HACKATHON
1. Form a team of 2-4 members in advance. If you don't have a team going to the hackathon, you are encouraged to find other hackathoners who don't have any teams yet. If you still don't have a team just before the hackathon begins, the organizers wil try to find you a team. A team must have a minimum of two members.
2. Join our Facebook Group at https://facebook.com/groups/smartdevnet/ - we will be announcing a Hackathon Signup page here where you will need to provide details of a) your app name and description, b) the team name, and c) your team members.
3. Get ready with your ideas on how to work with the Eden PHP Library ( http://eden.openovate.com ). Teams are allowed to have pre-work. You can also start working with the Eden PHP library on the day of the hackathon itself.
4. At the end of the hackathon, all the groups registered for the hackathon will need to present their app via a live demo. The order of the presentations will be drawn by lots. Teams who are not registered cannot do a live demo and will not be eligible for any of the prizes.
5. We encourage everyone to join a team - even if you registered just to observe, you are strongly encouraged to be a participant-observer.
6. Skill Requirements: Participants must know PHP proficiently - you don't need to be an expert but you need to way your way around.
7. Amazon API demo: We will demonstrate the Amazon API. You would need a verified AWS account to be able to use the Amazon API.
8. Prerequisites: Laptop with PHP and MySQL installed. Ideas on what application to develop for Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google g+, Google Grive, SMTP, MySQL, Amazon and/or Paypal. Two or more platforms can also be "mashed" together to create a hybrid app. This will be for the hackathon session.
|0830-0845am||Welcome Remarks by Organizers|
|0845-0900am||Introduction and General Overview of the Eden PHP Library by Christian Blanquera|
|0900-0930am||Twitter and PayPal integration through Eden by Clark Galgo|
|0930-1000 am||Database and Emails: MySQL and SMTP integration by Christian Blanquera|
|1000-1030am||Facebook and Tumblr Integration by Dan Molina|
|1030-1100am||Google Drive, Google g+ by Symon Buenavista|
|1100-1130am||AWS by Symon Buenavista|
|1130-1200pm||Mashup Workshops & Hackathon Orientation|
|0100-0115pm||Hackathon Rules by Paul Pajo|
|0445-0500pm||Judging and Awarding|
Eden Hackathon Benilde is open to all developers of all ages.
• At the end of the hackathon proper, teams will do a live demo of their Eden PHP Library apps.
• The app must use the Eden PHP Library and optionally the SMART APIs either as concept and/or prototype
• Teams will undergo final judging by presenting their project to a panel of judges who will identify the winners.
• All decisions of judges are final. Scores will not be made public.
• A prize will be awarded to the winning teams for the best use of the Eden PHP Library
• Teams are expected to bring their own laptops. Internet access will be provided at the venue.
• The order of presentation will be determined by drawing lots.
• Each presenter is given three (3) minutes to explain the entry and two (2) minutes to answer questions during the Q&A.
•The app must be in HTML5 & functionality is preferred
•An App that people want - 15% (convince us market NEED for your app)
•An App whose time has come - 15% (convince us of the app's TIMING)
•An App that's clever (really!) - 15% (convince us of the app's INGENUITY)
•An App that's properly mashed-up - 65% (convince us of your app's API INTEGRATION - the more the merrier!)
The team warrants that the entry is their original idea and does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party. Participants are responsible for securing appropriate protection for any Intellectual Property (IP) contributed by the team members or their parent institutions. In the absence of such protection, participants should restrict themselves to non-enabling disclosures of their IP. Entries that have won major awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in any international, national or school competitions cannot be entered. Wireless service applications that are already in commercial production may not be entered. Smart Communications, Inc. (SMART), DevCon & De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde (DLS-CSB) shall not be liable to any participant for commercializing ideas that have been independently developed but are similar in concept to submitted entries.
Participants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Mechanics and by the decisions of the organizers and/or the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. By joining the contest, the participants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity or error in these Official Mechanics. Except where prohibited by law, the winners consent to the use of their name and/or likeness by SMART, DevCon & DLS-CSB for advertising and publicity purposes without compensation.
Each participant agrees that SMART, DevCon & DLS-CSB and its parent companies, agents, representatives, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from his participation in the contest, or resulting from the acceptance, possession, or use of these prizes, nor in any way are responsible for any warranty, representation, or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to the quality, condition, or fitness.
Each participant agrees that SMART, DevCon & DLS-CSB and its parent company, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, and employees will have no liability whatsoever for any injury, loss, or damages of any kind resulting from the use of the entry, unless such entry has been formally offered by SMART, DevCon & DLS-CSB to the public as a service or a product. Each participant warrants that it holds the necessary intellectual property right(s) over the entry, undertakes sole responsibility for any adverse or infringement claim(s) thereon, and further holds Smart, DevCon & DLS-CSB its directors, officers, employees, agents, parent company subsidiaries and affiliates free from any liability arising out of such adverse or infringement claim(s) including claim(s) for damages.
SPECIAL THANKS: Special Thanks to Franco Eisma of Amazon.com for the AWS Credits for the Amazon API demo.
When & Where
The SMART Developer Network (also known as SMART DevNet) is SMART Communications' developer community program, targeted at developers on desktop and mobile platforms interested in using SMART's technology platforms such as network tools and APIs.
We promote general awareness of mobile apps development and "technopreneurship" thorough related groups like the IdeaSpace Foundation.
We also strive to be a catalyst for fostering a vibrant developer community in the Philippines by organizing our own developer events as well as sponsoring other developer groups' events and meetups. We believe a good local developer community is an integral part of a healthy tech ecosystem.
Members of SMART DevNet can participate in events and meet ups, interact with a developer community, join hackathons and developer competitions, attend tech bootcamps, and have the option of engaging in business opportunities with SMART.
The SMART Developer Network is open to all interested individuals throughout the Philippines.
For information, email email@example.com or visit our social media touchpoints: