Come volunteer, meet other local library association members and spend the day at the Arboretum.
Saturday, July 26, 2014
9 a.m. - noon, followed by optional lunch
Directions for Parking:
Tell the gatekeeper you're volunteering at the Library, then park in the main public parking lot. Meet in the lobby of the Visitor Center (big building closest to public parking). We will walk to the adjoining Snyder Building together.
Don't miss our 4th annual volunteer event! We'll be helping out at the Arboretum’s Andersen Horticultural Library. Kathy Allen, Librarian, will be our host.
There are a number of jobs from small to huge, mundane (but important!) to interesting, for one person or small groups, including:
- Fill out a thank you/receipt form & address envelopes for book sale donors
- Shelf read
- Web surf for new nurseries to add to Plant Information Online database
- Review file drawers of nursery catalogs & note when we haven't received recent year(s)
- Physically interfile two discrete nursery catalog collections: retail & wholesale (involves some "heavy" lifting & standing on a step stool)
- Glue on stickers with new phone numbers to brochures & bookmarks
- Trace & cut acid-free cardstock to be used for making folders for nursery catalogs
Note: If you are interested in any of the web-related tasks and have a laptap, Kathy suggests you bring it. That will give us some flexibility about where everyone works (wifi is available).
Optional lunch and activities to follow
After volunteering, stay for a buy-your-own lunch in the dining area located in the 2nd floor of the Oswald Visitor Center, check out the Gift Store, and enjoy the grounds. You can also enjoy an exhibition of botanical art in the Visitor center: 40 prints from The Highgrove Florilegium. Andersen Horticultural Library owns the two-volume set (with 124 prints) and Kathy will be turning pages for the public that afternoon in the gallery from 1:00-2:30.
Register by July 24 (event is limited to the first 24 people who register).
Kerry Walsh – firstname.lastname@example.org – 651-280-2705
Renee Weddle - email@example.com - 952-742-0195
When & Where
Special Libraries Association - Minnesota Chapter
The MN Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA) was founded in 1943 to share expertise and interests and to build a community to support the special librarians of Minnesota. The Chapter exists to provide these same opportunities and services to our members & partners.