Silicon Valley Bike Summit 2013
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 from 11:45 AM to 4:30 PM (PST)
Palo Alto, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Please join Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition and Stanford Hospital & Clinics for an in-depth discussion of the ways governments, law enforcement, and advocates can work together in creating a safe, welcoming environment for people on bikes.
We are excited to welcome our two featured speakers:
- Mia Birk is the former Manager of the City of Portland’s Bicycle Program, where she oversaw the city’s transformation into the most bike-friendly place in the nation. She is currently an adjunct professor at Portland State University, president of Alta Planning + Design, and the celebrated author of Joyride: Pedaling Toward a Healthier Planet.
- Charlie Gandy, an expert in community design, founded and served as the first Executive Director of the Texas Bicycle Coalition (now Bike Texas) from 1990 to 1994. Gandy also played a lead role in bicycle infrastructure developments as the Mobility Coordinator for Long Beach California’s Bike Long Beach program and was chosen as Host Chair for the Pro Walk/Pro Bike Conference in Long Beach in September of 2012.
The event will also feature a panel of local experts and innovators who will discuss recent progress in making our roads safer for all users. The panel will discuss infrastructure, education efforts, and strategies for improving the behavior of both people on bikes and people in cars. Moderated by Menlo Park City Councilmember Kirsten Keith, the panel will include
- Derek Chan, Social Media, Online Content & Outreach Manager, California Department of Motor Vehicles
- Mark Gainey, Co-Founder, Strava
- Hans Larsen, Director, Department of Transportation, City of San José
- Commissioner James Madden, Traffic Trial Commissioner, Santa Clara County Superior Court
- Captain Mike Maskarich, California Highway Patrol
- Lee Taubeneck, Deputy District Director, Transportation Planning and Local Assistance, California State Department of Transportation
- Chris Waugh, Senior Lead, Health and Wellness Practice, IDEO
Admission is $25. A light lunch will be provided. Scholarships are available for those to whom the cost of admission is prohibitive; please contact email@example.com to apply.
Register for this exciting event today!