Welcome to Silicon Beach Fest - June 18-21, 2014!
Silicon Beach Fest is LA’s original festival celebrating LA tech, entertainment & startups with panels, keynotes, workshops, mixers, and more in Santa Monica on June 18-21, 2014. Attendees include startup CEOs, acceleratorss, VCs, investors, Hollywood movie and music studio execs, agencies, fashion, content creators, social media gurus, developers, designers, and more from LA, Silicon Valley, OC, San Diego, New York, and international. Head to the beach on the first weekend of summer to celebrate LA's digital innovators in tech, startups, entertainment, fashion, marketing, and more!
In our third summer fest, we will be celebrating the amazing success of LA tech companies in the past year. Several large acquisitions have included Oculus being acquired by Facebook by $2B, Maker Studios acquisition by Disney for more than $500M, and more. Plus, most programming will be held at new venues that didn't exist last year: the new Cross Campus co-working space at 10th/Colorado (a block east), and General Assembly (2nd/Colorado).
This year's fest includes...
- Panels: Featuring LA's top startups, CEOs, VCs, investors, and Hollywood, June 19 and 20
- Parties: Networking parties every night to help you meet key players and friends including the Opening Party and Closing Party. Plus VIP-only parties and other networking events.
- Startup Showcase: 40-50 up-and-coming startups will pitch for 3 min with 3 min Q&A for their chance to win the grand prize and SBF 2014 - Startup Showcase title and trophy.
- Beach Games: Surf, play basketball, or beach volleyball or join the bike ride at our beach games on Sat Jun 21. We're the only tech fest that includes beach games as another way to network with friends you've made during the fest!
Plus New Features added this year:
- Digital Content Fest: Watch digital content by YouTubers and indie content creators.
- Gadget Sandbox: Get hands-on playing with gadgets at the SBF Sandbox, including 3D printing, VR, wearables, fit-tech, phone accessories, and more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to demo your gadget, hardware, accessories, etc.
- Startup Tables: SOLD OUT at the panel venues to promote your product or service, do demos or giveaways to SBF attendees including startups, VCs, investors, Hollywood studio execs.
- Pre-Events: Tech organizations in LA are encouraged to organize pre-events on Sunday June 15, Monday June 16, and Tuesday June 17 leading up to the fest, which we will list. SBF attendees should be able to attend for free or at a discount. If you'd like us to list your event, apply by emailing email@example.com with details about your event.
The full conference agenda is at http://siliconbeachfest.com , with updates happening daily
- Includes badge allowing admission to most panels and parties; some sessions may require separate registration or a VIP pass
- Does NOT include: Parking, food, or drink. Parties are cash bar unless otherwise indicated. Some events may have complimentary snacks or beverages.
- Passes will not be mailed; pick them up at registration at Cross Campus, in Santa Monica: Wed 10a-4p, Thur 8a-5p, Friday 9a-5p.
Parking: Recommended parking at the Santa Monica Library, which is a few blocks from Cross Campus (note the Library garage closes at 11p). Also: Santa Monica Place mall has 90 min free parking + $1 for the first hour, more after that. SBF does not cover parking or parking tickets. We are working on a Beach Shuttle from the Wyndham by Santa Monica Place to Cross Campus.
Food: Lunches are not included with Silicon Beach Fest. There are light coffee and bagel breakfasts available at some venues. Complimentary snacks are available from sponsors and more (please tweet thanks!). Cash bar at most events unless otherwise indicated. Some venues are 21+ only and require a photo ID.
Wifi: Both Cross Campus and General Assembly have free wifi. Look for the wifi password on signage at the entrance to / around events, and on the back of your nametag.
Hotel discounts are available: http://tinyurl.com/sbf14hotel
SPONSOR: Sponsor Silicon Beach Fest overall, or a track or a party to increase your company visibility and branding among LA's startup entertainment community. Sponsorship starts at $2.5K, $5K, $10K, $20K and up. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with SPONSOR as subject so we can send you the SBF deck.
PRESS: Apply for press credentials at http://tinyurl.com/sbf14press. Our previous SBFests have been covered or mentioned by local and national press including Forbes, New York Ties, LA Times, LA Business Journal, PandoDaily, etc.
Social Media: @DigitalLA @SBFestLA #SBF
About Silicon Beach Fest is created by Digital LA. The Silicon Beach Fest board consists of leaders from LA's tech scene, who help organize tracks and panels. Silicon Beach Fest takes places as a multiday event in Santa Monica in the summer, and a one-day event in Hollywood or another part of LA in the fall. Last summer's Silicon Beach Fest attracted more than 2,000 attendees who attended main and related events that week, and was covered in Forbes, New York Times, LA Times, LA Business Journal, PandoDaily, and more.
Silicon Beach Fest registration is not refundable. Schedule is subject to change.
LEAN "WORKING SCHEDULE" HIGHLIGHTS
(subject to change; more events and panels will be added, times may move)
- WED JUNE 18
- Opening Party presented by Demand Media at the Viceroy, 7-10p. Cash bar.
- VIPs: Pre-party by Demand Media at the Viceroy 5-7p. VIP after-party 10p TBA
- THURS JUNE 19
- Entrepreneurs and Investors Track @ Cross Campus, 1558 10th St.
8:30a Registration Opens, Coffee Available.
9:30a Welcome and Opening Remarks:
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA and Silicon Beach Fest
- Ronen Olshanky, Cross Campus, Co-Founder
9:45p Opening Keynote: Patrick Soon Shyiong, surgeon - entrepreneur ranked by Forbes as
wealthiest man in Los Angeles. UCLA professor and part owner of the Lakers.
10a Fireside Chat with Frank Addante, CEO and Founder of Rubicon Project, recently IPOd.
Content Marketing, presented by Demand Media (workshop)
11a Building Business in LA panel, with David Carter (Amplify, Partner),
Dan Brian, Demand Media; Russ Reeder, Media Temple; Aaron Hirshhorn, DogVacay
Women VCs / Investors, moderated by Justine Lassoff (workshop)
12p Fundraising: Investors, Angels, Accelerators, Banks
Raising Money and Building Business on the Eastside, mod by Jay Baage (workshop)
Lunch available for purchase at food trucks
1p Fireside Chat with Chet Pipkin, Belkin, CEO and Founder
How I Built My Mobile Tech Company in LA, presented by AdColony (workshop)
2p VCs: Investing in Silicon Beach, presented by Dynamic Synergy
- Moderator Mark Landay, Dynamic Synergy, with Matt McCall, Pritzker Group, Partner;
David Travers, Rustic Canyon Partners; Hamet Watt, Upfront Ventures, Partner;
Gerard Casale, TYLT Lab, Managing Director
Payments and Mobile Payments (workshop)
3p Women Founders: What It Takes To Succeed, mod by Melinda Moore & Justine Lassoff
Where in LA Does My Startup Belong (workshop)
4p Startup Showcase - Semi-Finals. Captain: Andreas Seckler
Trends in Mobile Ads by Open X
- Digital Content Fest at Content Lounge at Shore Hotel, entrance on 2nd Street
10a Behind the Scenes at YouTube Nation, presented by Weintraub Tobin
11a Building a MCN Vertical
12p Meet the Multichannel Networks, moderated by Seth Shapiro, The Television Academy
1p Post New Fronts Highlights, moderated by Lori Shaprio
2p Digital Content Fest: Watch MCNs, YouTubers and indie videos. Captain: Ben Stanley
- Ocean View Room @ Shore Hotel, entrance on Ocean Ave
-10a Agency vs In House
-11a Online Advertising: Social, Video, Measurement
-12p Mobile Messaging
- 1p International Startups
- 2p Activating Niche Communities
- 3p Connected Cars
- 4p Latino Social Media and Startups
- Legal Panel @ Stubbs Alderton & Markiles offices, 1453 Third St. Prom, #300
4-6p Dispute Resolution 1.0 by Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, followed by Cocktails 6-8p
Bruce Friedman, ADR Services; Tony Keats – Stubbs Alderton & Markiles;
Michael A. Sherman, Stubbs Alderton & Markiles; Chris Colvin, IvyLife, Founder
All passes: Free Appetizers at Del Frisco's 6-8p, Cocktails at Stubbs Alderton 6-8p
General Assembly Party at General Assembly, 8-11p
VIP Parties: VIP Cocktails at Seasons 52, 5-7p
PromoJam VIP Party at 41 Ocean, 7-11p
- FRIDAY, JUNE 20
- Startups and Communities Track @ Cross Campus
10a Investing in Crowdfunding, presented by Richardson & Patel, LLC
- Moderator: Nimish Patel, Richardson & Patel, with Congressman McHenry (via Skype),
author and sponsor of the JOBS Act and Crowdfunding (via Skype); Chance Barnett,
Crowdfunder.com; Raina Nasis, Poliwogg; and Howard Marks, Start Engine, Founder
Mom Entrepreneurs and Startups, moderated by Jedd Gold (workshop)
11a Entertainment Innovators: Hollywood and Startups
Why LA is Great for Non-Entertainment Startups, moderated by Jeff Futterman (workshop)
12p LA City and LA Tech - Town Hall, with Peter Marx, LA Chief Innovation Technology Officer,
and Michelle Garakian, Office of Economic Development of LA Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Fundraising from the Female Perspective
Lunch available for purchase at food trucks
1p Universities: Tech Transfer and University Startups, moderated by Jay Tucker, USC
Startup Legal Advice from General Consuls (workshop)
2p Aerospace Tech
Entertainment as a Force for Good
3p Shared Economy Startups
LGBT Startups and Social Media (workshop)
4p Bitcoin Panel, Brock Pierce, BitCoin evangelist; Steve Beauregoard, GoCoin, Founder:
Michael Terpin, BitAngels, Founder, and Social Radius; Mike Rotman, Streamin' Garage
and Francisco Dominguez, Meltdown Comics. Moderated by Mark Jeffrey, author Bitcoin
Dude: Surf, Skate and Action Sports Startups (workshop)
5p Startup Showcase - Finals
Silicon Beach: Ideas and Identity (workshop)
8-11p Friday Night Party presented by Media Temple @ Cross Campus, 8-11p
- Marketing/ Social Media, Developer, Creativity Tracks @ General Assembly, 1520 2nd St.
Marketing, PR and
Social Media and Big Brands
Developer / CTO / CEO
|Storytelling for Your Startup|
|12p-2p||Social Media for Film and TV and Big Data for Action||How To Find IT Talent||Crowdfunding Workshop|
|2p-4p||PR and Content Marketing||Women Developers||Tools for Creatives|
|4-6p||Local Social Media Influencers||Developer Roundtable||Design, presented by Kluge|
- Lifestyle Track @ Shore Hotel
- 10a Beauty, presented by Beauty TV
- 11a Health
- 12p Gov
- 1p E-Commerce
- SATURDAY, JUNE 21
8a Experienced Surfing, organized by Silicon Beach LA - Surfers
8a Silicon Beach Bike Ride, organized by Ben Stanley - register separately
9a Beach Basketball @ Venice courts
10a-12p Surfing: Beginner Lessons by Aqua Surf
12-2p Brunch Meetup
5p Beach Volleyball @ Fairmont Miramar - Vilebrequin Games
Digital LA is the largest digital networking group based in LA, reaching more than 80,000 professionals weekly via its newsletter and social media. Digital LA organizes weekly panels and mixers for digital professionals, including startup CEOs, VCs and investors, entertainment including Hollywood movie and TV studios, music labels, agencies, video games, VFX, social media, digital advertising, developers, designers, marketing and and more. Digital LA is the founder of Silicon Beach Fest, the original and largest multi-day startup / entertainment conference. Follow @DigitalLA. Digital LA has been recognized by Forbes and the LA Times as keeping LA's tech community together via its fun and friendly events.