Silicon Beach Fest - Hollywood (Nov. 2013)
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM (PST)
Los Angeles, CA
Join us for our Silicon Beach Fest - Hollywood one-day event at WeWork in Hollywood. The theme is startups and Hollywood, featuring leaders from movie studios, music labels, agencies, and startups in entertainment. We'll discuss how Hollywood studios are investing and working with statrtups, and how Silicon Beach startups are making entertainment businesses. The Startup Showcase will feature 20 entertainment startups, your chance to see the largest selection of entertainment startups to pitch in LA, including graduates of local accelerators and winners curated from local hackathons, university competitons and startup weekends. Network at several evening mixers.
Also: Your Silicon Beach Fest Hollywood pass includes complimentary admission to the content-creator focus Idea to Screen all-day workshop from 9a-5p at IgnitedSpaces at 7080 Hollywood Blvd, including a Maker Studios breakfast from 9a-10a and a lunchtime panel with Phil Rosenthal, creator of Everybody Loves Raymond. Idea to Screen schedule is http://ideatoscreen.com
SILICON BEACH FEST - HOLLYWOOD, WED NOV 13
SBF Hollywood takes place in two tracks: WeWork main floor and 4th floor Workshop Room
(SBF attendees can also attend Idea to Screen at IgnitedSpaces, 7080 Hollywood, 11th Flr)
9a - 10a. Registration opens, Coffee and Continental breakfast presented by Elance.
9:45a: Welcome and Opening Remarks (WeWork First Floor)
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA, CEO and founder of Silicon Beach Fest
- Eyad Zahra, WeWork, Community Manager LA
10a - 10:45a
Investors: VCs, Accelerators and Angels... and Hollywood Studios (WeWork first floor)
LA's investors, VCs, angels, and accelearators have invested in entertainment startups. Recently, Hollywood movie studio and music companies are starting to invest in startups too. For example, Warner Bros. Media Camp accelerator recently graduated its first class of entertainmnet startups, who have access to Warner Bros. executives as its mentor network. We'll discuss trends in investing in enertainment startups, including which sectors (movies, music, games, web series/multichannel) have seen successful investments and additional rounds, what are current trends, and potential growth areas, such as new multichannel networks, mobile, analytics, monetization, and big data. The last ten minutes of the session will include 1 min open pitches by the audience of their startup, with quick feedback by judges.
Scheduled Speakers include:
- Ethan Applen, Warner Bros. Media Camp, Executive Director
- David Carter, Amplify LA, Co-Founder; angel investor
- Jason Yeh, Greycroft Partners, Senior Associate
- Brent Weinstein, United Talent Agency, Head of Digital Media
- Melinda Moore, angel investor, formerly Entertainment Media Ventures
- Moderator: Mark Landay, Dynamic Synergy, Managing Director
11a - 11:45p
Startups in Entertainment: Silicon Beach Success Stories (WeWork first floor)
Several successful entertainment startups and companies will share keys to success in building busineeeses in Los Angles. Speakers will share their view on success factors including founding team, relationships with studios and talent, and connecting with consumers and fans. We'll discuss financing, revenue, partnerships, marketing and social media to market, promote and increase customers.
- Richard Raddon, ZEFR, Co-CEO and Co-Founder
- Walter Driver, Scopely, CEO, Co-Founder
- Walter Delph, Adly, CEO. Adly connects celebrities social media with brands. @adly
- Chris Kantrowitz, Gobbler, CEO. Gobbler is a cloud-based music storage site. @gobbler
Meet the Influencers (Workshop Room: WeWork 4th Floor)
Influencer marketing is increasingly becoming a part of marketing for entertainment companies and for startups. Meet social media influencers (and those who work with them) on this panel, including YouTubers, Viners, Instagram and more. They'll discuss how they build their brand, engage their audiences, and align with brands, startups or partners to help promote projects.
- Moderator: Adam Wescott, Mind Chatter, Executive Producer
- Kc James, #7 Vine influencer with 2.7M followers (Collab)
- JessiSmiles, Vine influencer with 2.2M followers (Collab)
- Lindsey Hughes, YouTuber BeautyBaby44 (AwesomenessTV)
- Sawyer Hartman, YouTuber with 1M subscribers (Big Frame)
- Amy Pham, YouTuber on The Platform fashion channel (Maker Studios)
What's Your Strategy: Marketing, Social Media and PR (WeWork First Floor)
Social media, marketing and PR experts will give tips, including defining your strategy, your story, voice, and how to execute your campaign. We'll discuss display, search, and social media marketing tools, and discuss how to use social media to generate buzz, connect with influencers and investors, and engage your audience. We'll also discuss effective PR strategies, including how to pitch to news outlets, what's the hook, and developing relationships.
- Moderator: Nicole Jordan, Radix Collective, CEO/Founder. Radix handles PR for startups.
- Amy McGee, ZEFR, Senior Director of Marketing and Publicity
- Austin Null, Fullscreen, Social Engagement Strategist. Creator of The Nive Nulls channel
- Arturo Perez, Kluge Interactive, CEO
- Laura Michael, Metro Public Relations, EVP. Laura does PR for YouTube channes, apps, etc.
How Do You Make Money: Measurement and Monetization (Workshop Room: WeWork 4th Floor).
We'll discuss how startups and other entertainment companies are monetizing their content. We'll cover current trends in monetization, from advertising via video views and web page clicks, to subscription models (which ones are working for movies, music, games, etc.), and more. When does the freemium model with in-game upcharges works works? How do you set up virtual currencies and when will consumers paying actual money for in-game points. How can your analytics support your monetization strategy. And how does licensing, white-labeling and online merchandising come into play as additional revenue streams for entertainment franchises.
Scheduled Speakers include:
- Allison Stern, Tubular, Co-Founder of YouTube video analytics platform
- Dan Brian, Demand Media, EVP of Media
- Arthur Martinez, OakReach, Founder
- Eric Futoran, Scopely VP, Revenue & Operations
- Moderator: Severin Nesselhauf, Edgecast, Brand Marketing and Communications
1p-1:05p. WeWork Welcome by Noah Brodsky, WeWork, Chief Experience Officer
Discussion (WeWork first floor)
Silicon Beach and the Community: How Can Hollywood and Universities Do More?
At our lunch keynote, we'll discuss what Hollywood and universities including UCLA, USC, etc are currently doing to connect with the startup community. And then we will brainstorm what we can all do to increase connections, including city-data hackathons, city/university-community internship programs and mentors, events, internationally, and more.
- Colin Sweeney, Office of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Digital Coordinator
- Leron Gubler, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, CEO
- Jay Tucker, USC, Marshall School of Business, CTM, Interim Director and CMO
- Pasa Mustafa, TechCity UK
NOTE: Silicon Beach Fest registration does not include lunch time meals. We recommend Tiago Coffee at 7080 Hollywood, which offers 15% off purchases with your SBF pass on Nov 13 only. You can also try many local eateries and food trucks on Hollywodo Blvd. Note: Scopely will be giving out some special lunches if you do some social media, details will be provided at the event.
Digital Tools for Actors, Artists, YouTubers, and Filmmakers (Workshop Room: 4th Floor)
Several web sites and apps help the independent content creator create, develop, distribute, and market their own content. This panel features various tools that help actors, musicians (bands and composers), YouTubers and Filmmaker
- Heidi Levitt, Actor Genie, Founder / CEO of actor app; Casting Director (The Artist, Nixon, JFK, Natural Born Killers, and The Joy Luck Club)
- Jostein Svendsen, WeVideo, CEO
- Dan Levitt, Jammer.fm
- Penka Kouneva, composer for games (Gears of War 3, Prince of Persia, Transformers) and lead orchestrator on movies (Elysium, Transformers,Pirates of the Caribbean 3, True Blood)
- Moderator: Rynda Laurel, 1968 Media, Founder/CEO.
Digital Innovators in Entertainment: Film, TV, Music (WeWork first floor)
Digital film and TV innovators have been making headlines, including crowdsourcing and crowdfunding as a new form of financing and marketing, to innovations in marketing, social media, and mobile. Panelists who innovate via new product development (mobile, app, etc.) will dicuss how they identify, develop, test, and package new products, and whether to build inhouse, or find / work with third parties, and promote the project internally and to fans / customers.
- Adam Chapnick, Indiegogo, Evangelist
- Josh Snow, DIRECTV, Digital Entertainment Product Group - Senior Director
- Rachael McLean, JuntoBox Films, SVP Digital
- Doug Barasch, Universal Music Group, Senior Director Digital Marketing and Strategy
- Kyle Bylin, Live Nation Labs, User Researcher
- Moderator: John Marchesini, The Hollywood Reporter, Digital Media, Director of Product Development
Multicultural Millennial Marketing (Workshop Room: 4th Floor)
How do you reach the growing latino, urban, and asian youth audiences to promote your entertainment property or startup. What are the sites, apps, influencers, and online, mobile, and social media strategies to reach these audiences. How do you segment sub-audiences based on age demos, interests, region, language, international, social media platform use, and more.
- Moderator: Sheila Marmon, Mirror Digital, CEO and Founder
- Aaron Nova, Conill Advertising / Saatchi & Saatch, Digital Account Supervisor
- Jose Villa, Sensis, President.
- Charlie Echeverry, MiTu Network, CRO. MiTu is latino multichannel network of video creators
- James Briggs, Briabe Mobile, Founder
Silicon Beach - Meet Hollywood Chamber of Commerce (Workshop Room: 5th Floor)
Startup and Hollywood Chamber of Commerce members are invited to a workshop to discuss what startups are looking regarding real estate and physical space, local support services (legal, human resources, public relations), events, and press and social media support. This workshop lets you talk directly with people from the startup community and other chamber members to meet startups, learn about their issues, and connect. We'll discuss: What are startup space requirements, length of time, lease arrangements, related services they require, and more.
- Moderator: Kurt Daradics, Esri, Business Development Manager, Emerging Business Group
- Scott Moe and Beverly Baker, Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, Technology
- Lillian Cavalieri, iPrecinct, Founder
- Michael Colosimo, thrdplace, Co-Founder
Startup Showcase (WeWork first floor)
Twenty startups will pitch with 3 min pitches and 3 min Q&As. Startups include alums from LA accelerators including Amplify, Start Engine and USC Viterbi, winners of Digital LA's monthly Startup Showcases, winners of Startup Weekend Entertainment, and universtiy student teams. Our team of judges will determine an overall winner to receive the Silicon Beach Best Hollywood - 2013 Startup Showcase title and prizes:
- Delta Air Lines first-class tickets on the Delta shuttle.* Delta’s new west coast shuttle makes business travel more enjoyable and productive with flights departing from LAX/SFO every hour on the hour – 15xs per weekday,– with WiFi, complimentary snacks from Lyfe Kitchen and more!
*Operated by Compass Airlines – Delta Connection.
- WeWork - six-month complimentary membership
- Ebyline no-transaction fee account for six months
- Second: Delta Air Lines - $100 vouchers on Delta shuttle, and WeWork three-month membership
- Third: WeWork one-month membership
- Andreas Seckler, SBF Startup Showcase Producer
- Amanda Coolong, TechZulu, CMO and host
- Howard Marks, Start Engine, Co-Founder
- Chirag Chotalia, Pritzker Group Venture Capital, VP
- Janet Tsai Dargan, Siemer & Associates
- Scott Sangster, Organic Startup, President
- Arteen Arabshahi, Karlin Ventures, Senior Analyst
- Jon Bassett, DFJ Frontier
- Fingertip Maestro, Mark Okoh, Co-Founder. The Fingertip Maestro iPad app teaches you how to play music via color-coded touch. @fingertipapp
- Get This, Lisa Farris, Founder. Get This website lets consumers buy products they see on their fave TV shows. @getthistv
- Filmzu, Nick Ghirardelli, Founder. Filmzu website lets filmmakers source and coorinate their cast and crew online. @filmzu
- Parsoco, Eric Crisp, CEO. Parsoco is a nightlife entertainment discovery app.
- Plug.dj, Alex Reinlieb, Co-Founder. Plug.dj enables people from around the world to share and discover music in a real-time socially interactive environment. @plugdj
- Chirp, Ali Reza Kohani. Chirp is a multimedia and messaging app.
- Laudville, Phoebe B. Scott, CEO, Founder. Laudville is social entertainment platform for sharing and discovering movies, TV, music, and books. Laudville recommends content and tells you where you can access that content and what people in your network thought of it. @laudville
- Frequency, Tom Kuhr, SVP Products and Marketing. The free Frequency video service lets you watch the most popular and most recent internet video from across the web in channel format - on the screen of your choice. @OnFrequency
- VIDZEY, Sean Kilbane, Founder. VIDZEY makes online video content interactive. A click of the mouse or a touch of the screen allows the viewer to gather information about clothing, actors, music. @vidzey
- Cinecore, Josh Richter, Founder. Cinecore is a simple scalable Enterprise SaaS solution for film and TV productions of all types. Cinecore instantly updates hundreds of cast & crew, securely. Alum of the Warner Bros. Media Camp accelerator. @cinecore
- MediaMARK, Ginger Zumaeta, Founder. MediaMARK uses automated biometric data capture to provide market research about moviegoers for the film industry. MediaMARK is the winner of the LA Entertainment and Media Startup Weekend. @MediaMARK_LLC
- Lootsie, Brandon Werber, President/ Co-Founder. Lootsie lets mobile game players get in-game Lootsie Points redeemable for in-store rewards at companies including Starbucks, Amazon, Target, GameStop, Best Buy, Sephora, and Home Depot. @lootsierewards
- Yummy Yummy Tummy, Spencer Yip, Founder. Yummy Yummy Tummy creates kids educational games including Nommons Math Universe with a team including a Simpsons animator and a Sesame Street writer
- EverSport, Carl Kirchoff, Founder. EverSport is the next generation ESPN or the Hulu for sports and distributes premium live sports broadcasts to displaced fans around the globe. Amplify alum.
- Gigmor, David Baird, Founder. Gigmor website matches musicians with compatible players in their area. Its upcoming proprietary matching engine will also match musicians and bands with gigs, content and products.
- Find My Song, Vince Fong, CEO. FindMySong is a web application that helps musicians network, create music in the cloud, and manage their copyright splits all in one place. @FindMySong
- Synk.io, Vince Lynch, Founder. Synk.io creates the world's simplest marketplace for licensing music and audio. @synkio
- Silo Labs, Mithun Baphana, Founder. Silo Labs photo channel app lets users view live photos of sports, fashion events, red carpet events, concerts, lifestyle & more in form of curated photo channels. @SiloLabs
- MediaHound, Addison McCaleb, Founder. MediaHound helps you discover and share your favorite film and television content across platform. @MediaHound
- Soundrop, Thomas Ford, Founder. Soundrop is the social listening platform that connects fans to their favorite musicians. @soundrop
- Soundrop, Thomas Ford, VP, Marketing. Soundrop is the social listening platform that connects fans to their favorite musicians. @soundrop
3p - 3:45p Games: Console, Mobile, Social and more (Workshop Room: 4th Floor)
We'll discuss trends in gaming, including console, mobile games on iPad and iPhone, social games, and online gaming. What types of games and platforms have successful revenue models, from subscription to freemium with in-game upsell. How do you incentivize mobile in-game purchases. eSports is huge with League of Legends - is there room for new gaming companies. How does legislation approving online gambling impact the development of a new category.
- Moderator: Brock Pierce, Clearstone Global Gaming Fund, Managing Director
- Reed Shaffner, Scopely, VP of Product
- Michael Ritter, SGN, SVP Business & Corporate Development
- Mark Donovan, Xfire, CEO
4p - 4:45p Innovative Marketing Campaigns (Workshop Room: 4th Floor)
Discuss innovative marketing campaigns with winners of the The Hollywood Reporter - Key Art Awards. These experts have award-winning experience in promoting films, which provide learnings for startups or other campaigns.
- Tony George, Soap Creative, VP Strategic Development. Won Key Art Award for Life of Pi website
- John Gheur, Signature Creative, CEO. Recently won Key Art Award for Star Trek app.
- WeWork Cocktails presented by iPrecinct: WeWork, 5-7p. free drinks, food
- IgnitedSpaces Open House Cocktails at IgnitedSpaces, 5-8p, free drinks, food.
- VIP Cocktails, 8-10p @ Spare Room, Hollywood Roosevelt
VIP passes and Speakers will enjoy complimentary bowling (from 8-9p, first dozen people) at the Spare Room on the second floor of the lobby of the Hollywood Roosevelt. Cash bar.
Closing Party @ Writer's Room and Supperclub
You're invited to join our party where we'll head to the exclusive Writer's Room 7-10p for networking and VIP area, then we can get free entry into Supperclub in Hollywood after 10p. Cash bar.
- 8-8:30p. Digital DJ panel. DJs will share how they use digital tools to create mixes, get gigs, and use social media including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to build digital followings.
- Zachary Kern-Schnall, DJ Bander @DJBander
- EQ, @EQofficiale
- Gregg Martin, DJ, spins at Skybar, etc. @greggmartin
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:
- WeWork provides monthly coworking office space on three floors in Hollywood. @WeWork
- Delta Air Lines is providing prizes for the Startup Showcase including trips on its new west coast LAX-SFO shutle wih Lyfe Kitchen food, wifi, and more. @Delta
- BusinessWire offers press release services for your startup or project @businesswire
- Elance is a Startup Showcase presenter and presenting breakfast
- Ignited Spaces is a new coworking space in Hollywood, opening at SBF @ignitedspaces
- Ebyline helps publishers and brands find quality content creators and simplifies the process of managing and paying freelancers. The winner of Startup Showcase will receive a no transaction fee account for the first six months. @ebyline
- Thanks also to Radix Collective (PR), Kluge Interactive (graphics and branding), JNB Events (event production), 131 Consulting (social media), PulsoViral (social media wall), David Beebe Projects, Beachbody, and NastyCreatures Multimedia (photography).
- Thanks in-kind sponsors PopChips, Quest Nutrition, Hubert's Lemonade, VeeV, Scopely (lunches), iPrecinct (cocktails).
- Supporters: Ebyline
- Media Sponsors: TechZulu, Tubefilter, Mindshare, Latina Geeks
PARKING. Is not included or validated. Recommended: the LA Fitness/ CVS underground parking lot is $8 max all day, on Hollywood at Sycamore, 7021 Hollywood Blvd. Or take the Metro to the Hollywood and Highland stop and walk a few blocks west to WeWork.
YOU CAN STILL GET INVOLVED:
SPONSORS: Overall sponsors receive logo placement on the event flyer, eventbrite, and signage
- Pricing: $500 Supporter, $1K Bronze, $2.5K for Silver, $5K for Gold, $10K for Platinum
- Startup Village Table: $500-1K for table to promote yourself, giveaway swag, demo for the day
- In addition, we are looking for in-kind food, beverage and alcohol sponsors
VOLUNTEERS: Most spots are taken, but you can inquire at http://sbfh13v.eventbrite.com,
PRESS: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your publication and distribution numbers.
Idea to Screen. Silicon Beach Fest passes include free admission to the separate Idea to Screen workshop organized by David Beebe Projects. Idea to Screen is aimed at content creators with experts from Maker Studios, CAA, and Phil Rosenthal creator of Everyone Loves Raymond giving real world advice and take-aways on how to get their Ideas to Screen. The schedule is located at:
Digital LA organizes networking events for online entertainment, marketing and advertising friends and professionals around entertainment, strartups, movies, TV/web series, music, video games, VFX/3D, including content creation, development, distribution, marketing and social media. Digital LA is the founder of the Silicon Beach Fest, a biannual startup entertainent confernece.
Your message has been sent!
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.