Join us at our Silicon Beach Fest - Downtown edition, with an ephasis on downtown's growing tech scene at Cross Campus new downtown location (Wilshire/Flower) before it opens, during LA Innovation Week. Meet major players focusing on downtown tech: VCs, investors, social, and the broad range of startups that are located downtown. Plus we will highlight tech industries located downtown including fashion, hardware, and maker tech, etc. and what universities like USC are doing related to Silicon Beach.
This event is part of the second annual LA Innovation Week, Oct 2-22, established to highlight all of the amazing, creative and innovative and entrepreneurial things happening all over our region.
9a - 5p. Registration open. Limited complimentary breakfast items provied by LAbite restaurants 9a-11a
10a-10:15a Introductions and Opening Remarks
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA, CEO, Founder
- Dan Dato, Cross Campus Founder
10:15a - 11a Welcome to Downtown LA
Leaders in downtown LA tech will provide an overview of the tech scene: Major investors and VCs, startups, coworking spaces, LA City, USC, community organizations, universities, etc.
- Moderator: Jay Tucker, USC ICTM
- Nancy Perlman, LA Mayors Office, Innovation and Technology Fellow
- Kevin Lew, Bixel Exchange, Director
- Audrey Bellis, Startup DTLA Founder; Grid 110, Co-Founder.
- Rebecca McLauchlan, Rhubarb Studios, Co-Founder
- Karen North, USC Annenberg
11a-12p Meet the Investors, Incubators and Accelerators
Meet Silicon Beach Investors and Accelerators; some are located or interested in downtown startups
- Vishal Lugani, Greycroft Partners, Senior Associate
- Stephen Kane, Grid 110 (fashion accelerator), Chair
- Ian Gardner, LA Cleantech Incubator, CSIO
- Howard Marks, Start Engine (crowdfunding acclerator), Co-Founder
- Noramay Cadena, Make in LA (hardware accelerator), Co-Founder
12p-12:20p Welcome: Chris Rico, LA County Economic Dev Corp, Director of Innovation; LA Innovation Week
12:20-1p Three Case Studies: Three Key Points You Need to Know
Four 10-minute case studies that each have 3 key insights about tech, startups, and more
- Steve A Smith Jr, SharkReach, Founder and CEO. SharkReach is an influencer-owned startup that gives stock options to select influencers to promote branding campaigns. SharkReach worked with Univeral Pictures on the social strategy for Straight Outta Compton. SharkReach announced it will go public on NASDAQ in October $SHRK.
- Arif Ansari, USC Marshall, Associate Professor of Data Sciences will discuss 3 things investors and startups need to know about big data. He does big data and analytics research on consumer data at USC.
1 - 2p Lunch on your own at nearby restaurants: 800 Degrees, Public School, Spear, 888 Wilshire, Dublin's
Visit Startup Village tables and Networking.
PAID VIPs: Lunch at a nearby restaurant, venue TBD.
2p-2:45p Downtown Startups panel: Meet startups of various industries with a footprint downtown
- Moderator: Amanda Coolong, IBM Cloud Ecosystem Development, Worldwide Womens Initatives
- David Hsu, NationBuilder, Senior Communications Strategist
- Sintia Ascencio, Maker City LA, Assistant General Manager
- Field Garthwaite, IRIS.TV, CEO. IRIS.TV is the first in-stream video recommendation engine
- Carolyn Yashari Becher, HopSkipDrive,COO. Ridsharing for kids
- Mike Pusateri, Bent Pixels, CEO. MCN social video management tools including admin, growth and rights managment for AwesomenessTV, Maker Studios, Defy Media etc.
- Justine Lassoff, CEO, LoveGoodly. Subscription eco-box with style, beauty, wellness products
3p-4p My Startup Story: 4 startup founders tell their 15 minute inspiring startup stories
- Cauri Jaye, Rhubarb Studios, Co-Founder
- Elvina Beck, PodShare, Founder, CEO. Relocated from Hollywood to Downtown
- Brian Foley, Buddytruk, Founder and CEO. On demand truck delivery; just received investment from the Winklevoss twins, and has expanded from LA to Austin and Chicago.
- BakeSpace, Babette Pepaj, Founder and CEO. Recipe and cookbook app / advertising
4p-4:45p Fashion Tech
Meet Startups in Fashion, from downtown to Santa Monica.
- Dori Howard, Wade & Belle, Co-Founder. Online store sells tights with 'no dig' waistband. No more muffin tops. @dorihoward @wadeandbelle
- Ivka Adam, Iconery, Co-Founder. Iconery Iconery uses the latest trends in technology to materialize concepts from trendsetting designers and connect them to fashion-forward customers. Works with several downtown LA jewelry companies. @iconery
- Jennie Yoon, Casetify, Director, Business Development (Global). Casetify is an Instagram photo wrapped phone case and Apple watch band. Part of Grid 110 accelerator. @casetify.
- Azmara Asefa, Owner / Designer. 3D printed and laser cut jewelry and accessoires.
5-5:45p Startup Showcase
5 startups will pitch before judges, who'll select a winner.
- Chris Sheng, SimpleTux, Founder. Online tux rental. Part of Grid 110 accelerator
- Rumala Sheikhani, Castifi. Online booking and payment for actors.
- Ray Christian, Textpert, Founder CEO. Texting advice app
- Deepika Bodpati, Athelas, Founder CEO.
- Todd Terrazas, Brainitch, Founder and CEO. Full-spectrum public safety tech
- Brad Schwartz, Strategic Law and SLP Ventures, Managing Partner of
- Ben Stapleton, LA Clean Tech Incubator, VP Operations
- Cam Kashani, Bixel Exchange Advisor
- Gray Bright, Host of the Tomorrow Show, the late night comedy talk show for tech
- Rachel Horning, Startups in the Sky, Co-Founder
- Cross Campus will provide 2 months open desk membership to winner; others get 1 month
- Surf Air provides one round trip ticket on executive Surf Air flight to California destinations
- Strategic Law will provide $5K value of legal services
6p-8p Networking Cocktails at 800 Degrees Pizza
Regular and VIP attendees are invited to the 800 Degrees pizza bar at its new downtown location, on the first floor of 800 Wilshire Blvd. Regular and VIP attendees are invited to connect with each other; you can order drinks and custom pizza or salads on your own (not covered by the fest).
6-8p VIP Cocktails at Takami
VIP attendees are invited to enjoy stunning views of downtown LA from the patio bar of Takami, across the street from Cross Campus Downtown. VIP attendees can show their SBF badges to enjoy cocktails (one complimentary drink ticket) and complimentary appetizers.
6p-10p TechZulu Tech Crawl (optional, requires separate registration):
Walking tour and cocktails hosted by downtown companies including Rhubarb Studios and more. If you are interested in hosting cocktails and appetizers for 50-100 attendees on the tour, contact email@example.com
- Regular attendees get half off the TechZulu TechCrawl. Link provided after you register
- VIP attendees and speakers can attend the TechZulu TechCrawl for free. Link will be emailed.
Visit the demo tables at breaks during the fest. Demo tables are $500 and include a 6' table and access to power. Register above.
- SNACKS: Sample snacks provided by Quest Bar #GetPumpkin and more vendors. If u would like to provide some healthy snacks, beverages, water, email firstname.lastname@example.org with DOWNTOWN as subject
- Cross Campus, take a break in the Cross Campus lounge area, to experience what working here is like
- ElemenTerra, USC VR company world building UGC experience with motion controls @ElemenTerraVR
- AIO Robotics: see 3D printing from this USC Viterbi alum startup which won the SBF 2014 Startup Showcase
- Kluge Interactive does branding, web design, and graphics for SBF and other startups and companies
- Rhubarb Studios: Drones display; Rhubarb has drone building workshops very month
- Creative Technology Center will demo VR projects
SBF Downtown Discounts
- Instacart lets you order groceries and food downtown! Use Code: 'SBFDTLA' for $10 off + 1 free delivery in the coupon code box at Instacart.com or follow this direct link. Code for new users only, >$35 purchase, excludes alcohol. Expires 10/31/15.
PARKING is not validated or comped. Building parking is expensive, so try...
Luxe Valet app. First time users enter code forDIGITALLA for $15 off your first park. Make a request through the app for the alleyway vic 817 Wilshire Blvd before you start your drive. Upon arrival, pull into the alley to be greeted by your Luxe valet, who will be pictured in the app. When you're ready to leave, put in your request 15-20 minutes beforehand and have your car brought to you anywhere in Downtown. Or select the Drive Home option to have you and your car driven home safely at the end of the night. Happy parking!
SBF DOWNTOWN BOARD
- Kevin Winston, Digital LA
- Dan Dato, Cross Campus, Founder
- Cauri Jaye, Rhubarb Studios
SPONSORS: Email email@example.com with SPONSOR as the subject to sponsor at $500, $1K, $2K, $5K, $10K.
LA Innovation Week was establisehd by LACEDC to highlight all of the amazing, creative and innovative and entrepreneurial things happening all over our region.
LUNCH is not officially included with admission at the regular ticket price, although there are limited snacks and other promo giveaways.
NO Refunds Substitutions or Exchanges.
Digital LA is the largest digital networking group based in LA, reaching more than 50,000 professionals weekly via its newsletter and social media. Digital LA organizes weekly panels and mixers for digital professionals, including startup CEOs, VCs and investors, entertainment including Hollywood movie and TV studios, music labels, agencies, video games, VFX, social media, digital advertising, developers, designers, marketing and and more. Digital LA is the founder of Silicon Beach Fest, the original and largest multi-day startup / entertainment conference. Follow @DigitalLA. Digital LA has been recognized by Forbes and the LA Times as keeping LA's tech community together via its fun and friendly events.