Silents and Noise: Handmade Films with Live Scores
Saturday, October 19, 2013 from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM (WET)
Doors open at 6 pm; $15 ($10 NYSCI members)
Programmed by Todd Chandler and Jeff Stark
Short films program with live soundtracks
Empire Drive-In is an installation bigger than any single film. Since our first handmade screen in 2010, we’ve focused on creating programs that expand the idea of what can happen in a movie theater. Silents and Noise features handmade films accompanied by live music, live narration, and live foley, creating a shared experience for audience members, performers, and filmmakers. The program includes:
- New short films by Jem Cohen, with live score by Guy Picciotto and Jim White.
- To Many Men Strange Fates Are Given by animator and artist Brent Green, with live score and narration by Brent Green, Brendan Canty, and Todd Chandler.
- Flat Land Speed by Jonathan Kaiser, with live score by Resine.
- Egg by director Benh Zeitlin, with live score by Joe Keady.
- The Rink, starring Charlie Chaplin, with live score by the Hairy Eyeball String Ticklers.
Plus, Fitzcardboardaldo and Corrugation of Dreams by Robin Frohardt, and Cannonball by Drea Cooper and Zackary Canepari.
Please also join us for a special late-night screening (beginning after 11pm) of the post-apocalyptic cult classic The Quiet Earth (1985) after the program. Bring your radios to tune-in; we're turning off the house sound system after the bands.
This is part of the Empire Drive-In series.
Empire Drive-In: http://empiredrivein.com/
When & Where
New York Hall of Science