ShutUp & StartUp Weekend
Friday, October 22, 2010 at 6:00 PM - Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM (EDT)
As a part of our CampusConnect program which we have kicked off this semester, we're announcing ShutUp and StartUp, a weekend-long event designed to give students a first-hand introduction to the innovation economy in Boston. From Friday, October 22 to Saturday, October 23, with the help of Gus Weber, Edwin Guarin and the rest of the great Microsoft team here in Boston kind enough to sponsor CampusConnect, we will be turning the N.E.R.D. center into the campus innovation center of the universe.
The CampusConnect pilot program is designed to connect college and university students in the Greater Boston area with the city’s burgeoning innovation economy. Designed to promote the creation of relationships across campus borders, the program consists of on-campus events coordinated by student representatives from 8 Boston-area schools, off-campus events designed to bridge the gap between schools and the innovation economy, and access to BostInnovation whereby student representatives can share the entrepreneurial happenings on their campuses with the Greater Boston innovation ecosystem. ShutUp and StartUp is the program's cornerstone event and will include high-profile speakers, interactive workshops, and job-focused networking with a goal of igniting a passion for entrepreneurship in students and participation in our innovation economy.
An outlined schedule for the weekend is below. If you're interested in participating as a student startup, student simply interested in job opportunities, as a mentor, or would like the opportunity to meet students looking for jobs please email us at info(at)bostinnovation(dot)com. Spots are already filling up, so please contact us ASAP as we will try to find something for everyone.
FRIDAY EVENING 6pm - 10pm
- Intro from BostInno
- Michael Hagan - Chief Rockstar (COO) SCVNGR
- Jason Evanish - 10 Reasons You Should Start Your First Company in College
- Aaron Gerry - President of Entreprenuers Club at NEU
- Antonio Rodriguez - Matrix Partners
- Secretary Bialecki - Housing & Economic Development
- Networking & Cocktail Hour
SATURDAY 10am - 6pm
- Saturday Morning -
10am - 12:30am
- Student pitches
existing companies/new ideas - 10:00 - 11:00
- Group companies with mentors
- Group companies with mentors
- Work session #1 -
11:00 - 12:30
- Product market fit
- What are your needs?
- office space, developers, marketers, designers, lawyers, etc...
- Who are your users, customers?
- Student pitches existing companies/new ideas - 10:00 - 11:00
- Lunch with entrepreneurs/MSFT - 12:30 - 1:30
- Saturday Afternoon -
1:30 - 6:00
- Work session #2 - 1:30
- Initial minimal viable product
- Investor support - who to target - practice pitch
- Who in the community to reach out to after this weekend?
- Next steps - Project plan for 30 days
Job Fair & Networking - 3:00 - 5:00
- How to get a job using social media discussion - 4:00 - 5:00
- Cocktail Hour 5:00 - 6:00
- Work session #2 - 1:30 - 3:00
The time is now to make a change in the way we interact with the student community. Ask what you can do to help at ShutUp and StartUp weekend and let's join forces as a community to help make sure that we are providing the best opportunities for students to engage with and join the innovation economy.
Special thanks to our partners!