The Shimmython is a real, live, shimmy-till-you-drop competition! Got hips like an Energizer bunny? Show us what you’ve got! The winner’s accomplishment will be submitted to the Guiness Book of World Records in the “Longest Continuous Shimmy” category. YOU could make bellydance history and be crowned the “2012 Shimmy Queen”
Our 2012 Shimmy Queen will receive a fabulous prize basket full of bellydance goodies!
Please review the SHIMMYTHON OFFICIAL RULES below:
MECDA’s Shimmython Rules and Regulations
- The prize basket will be awarded to the contestant who shimmies the longest on stage at Cairo Caravan 2012.
- All contestants must register prior to the competition online via the MECDA website. Registration is at www.mecda.org/cairo/shimmython.
- Contestants are required to sign in at least one hour prior to the live competition atCairo Caravan. Sign-ins will be on The Green by the Queen, near the Drum Circle.
- Contestants must be at the event location, The Green by the Queen, no later than 20 minutes prior to the start of the competition. Contestants not at the stage by 12:40pm will forfeit the opportunity to participate in the competition.
- The MECDA Shimmython competition will be a live competition in front of an audience. The competition will be held on the lawn in front of the Queen Mary from 1pm to when the judges call the end on Sunday, June 3rd, 2012.
- Upon the start of the competition, competitors will take the stage in an orderly fashion as their number is called.
- Competitors will stand on stage, arms length apart.
- The MECDA Shimmython will continue untill the judges declare the winner.
- Contestants must wear a coin belt, hip scarf, or other hip decoration to ensure that both the audience and the judges see their shimmies.
- Shimmies must be a fast paced, isolated, stationary hip shimmy with arms held up and out to the sides. Contestants who slow down considerably and/or drop their arms will be called out of the competition by the judges. Judges have the final decision in aforementioned matters.
- Arms and hands may embellish a competitor’s shimmy, but may not drop or be lowered at any time. Arms may not rest on the body at any time. A judge will demonstrate this rule at the competition.
- Once per half hour, a judge will call a Shimmy Circle. At that time ONLY, contestants will create a dance circle around the stage, and move in a counter-clockwise direction as a group. Contestants must continue to shimmy as well as hold their arms up and out during the Shimmy Circle. A judge will call the Shimmy Circle to an end; contestants will shimmy back to their places and continue to shimmy with arms up and out to the sides.
- Bathroom breaks, eating, and/or purposefully distracting other contestants will not be allowed during the competition.
- If the competitor falters and does not meet the requirements, a judge will call the number of the competitor. Competitors are asked to leave the stage gracefully and without argument.
- If a competitor disagrees with their removal from the competition – the competitor may hold up on hand with their pointer finger and middle finger to make a “V”. Once this gesture is made, all of the judges will convene quickly to make a final decision on the removal of the contestant from the contest. The team of judges may also ask the audience, as a whole, for an opinion on the status of the competitor. Once the team of judges has made a decision, the decision is final and the contestant will either be asked to leave the stage gracefully or informed that they may continue on in the competition. IMPORTANT: if you are contesting the judge’s decision – you may not stop shimmying or lower your arms/hands for any moment; you must keep going until the group decision is made.
- The Shimmython Competition will continue until all but one contestant has been disqualified OR until the festival closes at 6pm.
- Upon completion of MECDA’s Shimmython, the winner will be announced and crowned “Shimmy Queen 2012”, and the prize will be awarded.
- Registrants agree to protect, indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Save the Queen, LLC dba The Queen Mary and the City of Long Beach, and their respective employees and agents, as well as MECDA and their respective employees and agents against all claims, losses, or damages to persons or property, governmental charges or fines, costs including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising out of or connected with MECDA’s Cairo Caravan, except those claims arising out of the sole negligence to The Queen Mary. Registrants hold harmless MECDA and any agents representing and/or acting on the behalf of MECDA. Registrants may be photographed and/or videotaped for use by MECDA for promotional and advertising purposes. Registrants release their image for use by MECDA.
- In the case that more than 2 contestants remain in the competition until the end, the MECDA President, and the judges of the Shimmython will determine the final winner with a tiebreaker.