Shadow + Light Workshop
Monday, October 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM - Monday, November 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM (PDT)
....sculptuing light and shadow....
What: Over the course of 5 class meetings, we'll each brainstorm, conceptualize, wire, and build, one (or more, time permitting) light fixture/sculpture.
Who: Novices, experts, and everyone in between...
Where: Mixed Media Lab
When: Oct. 2013, Monday's 7-9pm (Starting Oct. 7. Five 2 hour workshops)
Cost: Suggested Donation 25$
Supplies: depending upon the project you design, you may need basic socket wiring set up, bulbs, etc. Mixed Media Lab provides materials for mock-ups/maquettes.
Syllabus: (*some readings from the list at the bottom of this page may be assigned ahead of the first class meeting)
2) discussion: the history of light + light bulbs
3) take home: sketch/explore ideas for your light fixture, bring these to the next workshop to present + discuss
1) present + discuss last week's take home, collective brainstorming
2)discussion: the vocabulary of light, and it's counterpoint, shadow
3) wiring / underwriter's knot tutorial
4) take home: continue fixture design, complete another design iteration, scope out materials to bring to the next workshop
1) work session
1) work session
1) wrap up/documentation
Readings: In Praise of Shadows, Junichiro Tanizaki + TBD, Louis Kahn
Related Topics: Phenomenology, Husserl, Heiddigger, Life, Perception and Light, Darkness, Energy, Solar Power, Windows
When & Where
Mixed Media Lab
Ann Armstrong is an artist, architect, and steel fabricator who loves to figure out how to translate conceptual ideas into physical reality. These creations take the form of murals, signs, sculpture, furniture, lighting, planters, architecture... (see also : ann-made.org)