SGA Screening - Chattanooga
Sunday, November 4, 2012 from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EST)
You are invited to a special screening of the new documentary film, Seventh-Gay Adventists: A film about faith on the margins. This film follows the stories of three gay and lesbian Adventists as they struggle to be true to themselves and their faith. This intersection of faith and sexuality is at the core of many political, religious, and family conversations today, and this film offers viewers the opportunity to experience the spiritual journey of a gay person of faith. This film isn't about changing anyone's beliefs; it's just about listening to a demographic that is talked about and at but seldom with in our church.
This screening will be held at the Loose Cannon Gallery in Chattanooga (1800 Rossville Avenue, Chattanooga, TN).
Although this is a topic that is often highly charged in any church, this film's approach to simply share stories is being affirmed by Adventist thought leaders. Here are a few endorsements:
- "Whatever one's position regarding homosexuals and the church may be, this film is worth seeing because it candidly probes issues with real human faces and stories." - Dr. Roy Gane, professor, Andrews Seminary
- "The film is superb--a poignant and profound experience beyond any I've seen on the subject." - Chris Blake, author and professor, Union College
- "The movie, which simply tells stories rather than taking an advocacy stance, is powerful. It can, I believe, do much to make Adventists more compassionate in this controversial area of lifestyle." - Dr. William Johnsson, retired editor The Adventist Review
- "It is a movie every Seventh-day Adventist ought to see." - Spectrum Magazine
- "What was wonderful about the film was that it did not take place on the theological level but on the human level of individuals struggling between the church and ideals they love and their sexual orientation. Therein lies the greatest strength of the film, I think. You brought these individuals close to us, and, for the first time, I was able to reconcile the possibility of someone being both gay and adventist." - Abi Doukhan, founder of the Adventist Philosophy Society
There will be a discussion following the film with the filmmakers. We look forward to hearing your thoughts in this conversation and sharing the film in the Southern community!
You can learn more about the film here: http://www.sgamovie.com/trailer
Stephen & Daneen (producers/directors)