Sexuality, Intimacy, & Aging: Helping to Navigate Challenges in Sexuality & Aging - Two Day Conference 9/27/13 - 9/28/13
3rd Annual Sexuality, Intimacy & Aging Conference
Helping to Navigate Challenges
in Sexuality & Aging
Sept. 27-28, 2013
Widener University, Chester, PA
Take your knowledge and skills to the leading edge. Prepare yourself to address two essential areas affecting your work with older adults: sexuality in long-term care settings and issues specific to aging LGBTQ populations (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning).
This two-day event will feature nationally renowned speakers, expert-led workshops, film screenings, networking and resources. CEs available for AASECT, Social Work, and Psychology.
Register early, and save! http://saconsortium.eventbrite.com
After 8/1, 2-day packages are $50 Students; $180 professionals
Consortium members, students and agencies receive a discount when registering. You may apply for membership before registering at www.widener.edu/sexualityandaging
For promo code, email SAConsortium@widener.edu
Sponsor: The Consortium is a leading national organization committed to the sexual health, education and rights of adults in mid and later life. Co-sponsors: Center for Social Work Education, Center for Human Sexuality Studies, Center for Clinical Psychology
Friday: Sexuality in Long-term Care
- Tales from the Trenches: Love and Sex in the War on Ageism, Amanda Barusch, PhD, director, PhD Program in Social Work, University of Utah College Of Social Work
· There’s ‘gOLD’ In Them Thar Hills! – Inspiring interviews with aging adults, Harry J. Getzov, JD, founder Eldercation.com
· The Challenges of Sexuality and Dementia, Gayle Appel Doll, MS, PhD, Director, Center on Aging, Kansas State University
· Workshops: Creating sex-positive LTC facilities; grief support for LGBTQ residents/loved ones; how to implement policies and sex education in LTC; communicating with residents with dementia; combating compassion fatigue; LGBT and interfacing the healthcare system; sexual abuse and molestation in LTC; writing about senior sexuality; sexuality, aging and developmental disabilities.
· Poster Session of graduate student research
· Networking Reception with live entertainment (free, with conference registration)
Saturday: Aging and LGBTQ Sexual Expression
· The Invisible People: LGBT Seniors, keynote by, Mark Segal, dean of American gay journalism
· Sex and Older LGBT Adults: The Impact of Sexual Identity and HIV-Status, Mark Brennan-Ing, PhD, Director for Research and Evaluation at the AIDS Community Research Initiative of America (ACRIA).
· Building LGBT Aging Programs Nationally, Catherine Thurston, MSW, Senior Director, Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE)
· Advocacy, Policy and LGBT Older Adults, Diane Menio, MS, Executive Director, Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly (CARIE)
· LGBTQ Panel Discussion, led by Ed Miller, Senior Programs Coordinator, William Way LGBT Community Center
- Special screening of Gen Silent and talk-back with Stu Maddux, award-winning producer/director
The Widener University Center for Social Work Education is a pre-approved provider by the State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors to offer continuing education credits for social workers. This program meets the requirements of American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 13 CE’s. These CEs may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification. Widener University's Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Widener University's Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Widener University - University College
1 University Pl
The Sexuality and Aging Consortium at Widener University
Co-Sponsored by Widener University Centers for Social Work and Clinical Psychology