Seven Successful Pillars of Charter School Board Governance
Saturday, July 13, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (CDT)
Baton Rouge, LA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Governance is a form of leadership that requires board members to understand specific requirements and processes unique to exercising group authority over a school. Because a charter school operates under performance contract, charter school board members must excel at these or potentially face the revocation or non-renewal of their charter. And since the charter is time-limited, unlike conventional not-for-profit organizations, charter school board members have a narrowly defined window to get governance right. In short order, then, every charter school board that intends to plan for its success must begin mastering what presenter Dr. Brian Carpenter calls "the seven pillars of successful charter school board governance."
The target audience is current board members at newly authorized boards (schools that opened in 12/13 and will be opening in 13/14).
The focus is components from the One Day Governance Seminar, including:
- whom the board exists to represent
- how to know when the board has spoken
- the fundamental difference between board governance and management
- how to tell whether a board agenda topic is really governance
- how to design, implement, and monitor policies
- the three duties that comprise the board's fiduciary responsibility
- three lessons from research about the actions, decisions, and characteristics of failed charter school boards
- the four aspects of school performance every board should understand
- a simple method for structuring your board meeting so that it lasts no longer than 90 minutes
- how and when to use committees
- why board-prescribed processes such as which programs and which peronnel renders the board incapable of doing its job
- an easy way to shut off the complaint pipeline
Exceptionally informative. Fabulous. Thought provoking. Energetic. Best in class. If you’ve ever participated in a seminar or workshop conducted by nationally renowned charter school expert Dr. Brian Carpenter, you already know why those are just a few of the adjectives that have been used to describe his presentations. By combining irreverent humor with straight talk on board performance, he continuously draws board members and school leaders to his seminars, publications, and consulting.
When & Where
The mission of the Louisiana Association of Public Charter Schools is to support, promote, and advocate for the Louisiana charter school movement, increasing student access to high quality public schools statewide.