San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center's (SERC) annual Open House will be held on Saturday, September 20, 2014. This event will feature a behind-the-scenes glimpse at SERC research and science. Visitors may also register for a one-hour boat ride on the Rhode River ($5/person), try their hand at seining or crabbing, or create a take-home craft.
For free parking you must register for a Front Gate Pass for your vehicle. Please be prepared to present the printed pass to the booth attendant upon your arrival.
Explore science outdoors and meet the scientists doing it!
- Global Change: Discover how global change is affecting the world around us.
- The Forest: Learn how the forest works and its impact on the landscape on a hayride through SERC forests. Hayrides will start at 10:30am.
- The Mathias Lab: Explore SERC’s new state-of-the-art laboratory and learn about its environmentally sustainable features.
- The Living Lab: Discover connections between ecosystems and learn how humans have the power to change them from the scientists who study them.
- The Water: Visit an oyster bar, go crabbing and take a seine net into the Rhode River. Waders provided—no swim gear necessary!
- Education and Citizen Science. Learn how you can take advantage of SERC’s education and citizen science programs.
- Boat Rides: Learn about shoreline habitats while enjoying a boat ride on the beautiful Richard Lee ($5/person for ages 4+. Children under 4 are free; preregistration recommended).
- Kids Crafts and Face Painting
- Parking: Register online for free parking starting August 1. $10/car for those not preregistered.
- Lunch: Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
For more information, call 443-482-2300
When & Where
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) provides science-based knowledge to meet the environmental challenges of the 21st century. SERC leads research on coastal ecosystems—where land meets the sea—to inform real-world decisions for wise policies, best business practices, and a sustainable planet.