A lot of “senior moments” may in fact be seizures.
About 50,000 new cases of epilepsy occur in people aged 60 and above each year, and a significant number of additional cases are undiagnosed. Epilepsy is a medical condition. It is not contagious & can be treated. A Training Program for Organizations Serving Seniors
Training Purpose: This training is designed to train staff in senior serving agencies to deliver training content at their agency. Training focuses on understanding the needs of older adults with or at risk for epilepsy. It provides basic, straightforward information about epilepsy. This program has been designed with multiple caregiving settings in mind. Since epilepsy is commonly underdiagnosed in older adults, this training also raises awareness of the clues and symptoms that may lead to an epilepsy diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Training Topics: Training program has been designed with multiple care settings in mind. Training will focus on:
- Assess basic knowledge of epilepsy in older adults
- Define what a seizure is and list various causes
- Increase understanding of epilepsy
- Recognize various seizure types
- Explore unique ways epilepsy impacts older adults
- Know how to respond to seizures
- Plan steps to increase awareness to better serve seniors with seizures