SEEDS OF PEACE - Meditation and the Engaged Life - now book at the event
Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM (PDT)
Welcome to the Seeds of Peace 2013.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. You may buy tickets on the day at the event.
Thank you so much. See you on Saturday as we sow Seeds of Peace together!
We are delighted to announce that our very successful and unique 2012 program, Meditation and Contemplation as SEEDS OF PEACE, is coming back to Southern California on Saturday, April 20--- by popular demand!
This year Marianne Williamson, a leading spiritual teacher and best-selling New York Times author, will be our keynote speaker. In a new and expanded version of last year's pioneering program, this year we will explore the ways to bridge inner and outer peace. Once again we are inviting communities who practice meditation to share their techniques such as Mindfulness, Mantra Meditation, Transcendental Meditation, Yoga, Sikh Chanting, Sufi and Kabalistic practices, etc., just to name a few. For the first time we are also inviting communities engaged in social activism to lead workshops as well.
Hence our new title SEEDS OF PEACE: Meditation and the Engaged Life.
Our second annual SEEDS OF PEACE Conference will be hosted by the All Saints Church of Pasadena--one of the most socially active religious communities in Los Angeles, under the outstanding leadership of Reverend Ed Bacon. Once again we will be breaking new ground by bringing together, for dialogue and sharing, individuals who rarely--if ever--have a chance to cross paths. Members of the meditation community will have an opportunity to learn firsthand, if they so desire, how to become active in causes devoted to the environment, non-violent communication, immigration, women's rights and so forth, while social activists will be introduced to meditation and contemplation techniques that they may have never encountered before.
Our group, Southern California Committee for a Parliament of the World's Religion (SCCPWR), is a dynamic interfaith organization founded in 2007 to support the global work of the Parliament of the World's Religions and also to create innovative local programs in Southern California. We bring together communities that do not always have an opportunity to interface. Such was the case recently when we launched on Sunday, February 10, at the Baha’i Temple, a Latino-Yankee Celebration that brought together for the first time Latinos of many different religious backgrounds with other Angelinos, including a group of delegates from our organization who attended an interfaith conference in Guadalajara, Mexico last August. Our keynote speaker was one of the leaders of the Guadalajara interfaith community.
We expect a large turnout and your participation is guaranteed to enhance the impact and outcome of this event. We are committed to building a vibrant Culture of Peace together.
We hope you'll join us on April 20, to plant many "seeds of peace" for our collective future.
Contact Information: email@example.com phone: 310 837 2294
Meditation & Social Engagement Workshops
1. Isha Kriya Meditation – ISHA Foundation, Christopher Jones, M.Div., Ph.D
2. Labyrinth - Walking the Inner Garden, Miranda Rondeau
3. Vietnamese Cao Dai Meditation, Hum Bui, M.D., Hong Bui, M.D
4. Kabbalistic Jewish Meditation, Gilla Nissan
5. 3HO – Kundalini Yoga & Sat Nam Rasayan Healing Art, Hari Nam Singh
6. Vedanta Meditation for Inner Peace, Swami Atmavidyananda
7. Guided Meditation on the Self - Bi-Lingual (Span & Eng), Sister Jayanti/Yanina Olmos
8. Mindfulness Meditation-Vipassana Support International, Stephanie Nash
9. Meditation on Cosmic Awareness - the Twelve Blessings, Rev. Paul Nugent,
10. Color Science Meditation – Jain Center of Southern California, Chetna Sawla
11. Ignatian Awareness Exsmen, Lexio Divino Centering Prayer - Christian Meditation-Ignatian Awareness, Prof. Frank Rogers, Jr.
12. Raja Yoga Meditation - Brahma Kumaris, Sister Gita and Sister Diane
13. Still Point Episcopal /Hindu Meditation, Robert Kornell
14. Center for Krishna Consciousness, Sura Das and Mikhano
15. Lotus Sutra Chanting - Soka Gakkai International, Patti Heckman
16. Shumei Philosophy and Spiritual Practice, Steven Tokunaga
17. Seven Pillars House of Wisdom, Darakshan Farber and friends
18. Empty Mind, Full Heart – Zen Meditation as Enlightenment -- Pasa Dharma Zen Buddhist Group, Jeff “Lotus Peace” Albrizze
SOCIAL ACTION WORKHSOPS
1. “Beating Swords into Plowshares: Reducing Gun Violence," Dr. Jill Shook and Bert Newton
2. "What Religious Communities are Doing to Oppose War, Torture, and Drones," Grace Roberts Dyrness (ICUJP)
3. “Immigration Reform,” Rev. Daniel Romero
4. “Caring for All Creation," Allis Druffel, Interfaith Power and Light
5. “Prayer as Action,” Rev. Dr. Arthur Cribbs, Exec. Director CLUE
6. ”Life Choices” – An Interactive Drama Program in Schools for At-Risk Youth,
Wallenberg Institute of Ethics
7. “Human Trafficking” – Jewish Labor Committee Western Region, Leslie Gersicoff
8. “Healthcare Is A Human Right,” Maureen Cruise RN
9. “The Fight Against Genocide” – Jewish World Watch, Janice Kamenir-Reznik, Co Founder and President
10. “Code Pink,” Jody Evans, founder
11. “The Grace-Full Power of Compassionate Community Building,” Sande Hart, S.A.R.A.H
12. "Just Peacemaking," Prof. Glen Stassen, Fuller Seminary
13. "Practical Nonviolence" – American Friends Service Committee, Eisha Mason
14. “Truth Over Fear: Overcoming Islamophobia," Salam al-Marayati and Dr. Meher Hathout, Muslim Public Affairs Council
15. “Love and Social Action,” Rev. Ed Bacon, All Saints Church
16. “Gang Violence,” Ricky Pickens & Javier Stauring
17. “Examining the U.S. Economy and It’s Dysfunction,” Prof. Pamela Brubaker, California Lutheran University
18. “Spirituality and Politics,” Marianne Williamson
19. "Peace Education," Randy Christopher & Kimberly Mendendorp, Peace & Justice Academy
When & Where
Southern CA Parliament of the World's Religions (SCCPWR)
So. Cal. Parliament of the World's Religions (SCCPWR), is a dynamic interfaith organization founded in 2007 to support the global work of the Parliament of the World's Religions and also to create innovative local programs in So. Cal. We bring together communities that do not always have an opportunity to interface. www.sccpwr.org