'Continuing Education & Networking Event'
July 25, 2014
8 AIA HSW Credit Hours toward your state license
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals
1 LEED Specific BD+C CE Hour
7:45 AM Registration Begins
8:00 AM Breakfast Presentation Sponsored by Dan Stachel with SC Railings
8:40 - 9:40 AM (on time per Glen Phillips)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact
Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
Presenter: Kara Mashek
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, Ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define Ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with Ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with Ultracompact surfacing
9:50 - 10:50 AM (on time per Glen Phillips)
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of
structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well
as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops.
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices.
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention.
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics.
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards.
11:00 - 12:00 PM (on time per Glen Phillips)
Improving Energy Efficiency and Air Quality with HVAC Duct Sealants
1 AIA HSW/SD CE Hour | AIA Course #: ICH23A
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Carlisle Hardcast
Presenter: Tim Eorgan
Describe environmental concerns over energy issues and explain how HVAC air leakage contributes
to these concerns. Describe the reasons why sealing ductwork is critical to maximizing HVAC system
efficiency. Explain duct sealing options and list the advantages of each. Describe how sealing ductwork can improve indoor air quality.
1. Describe environmental concerns over energy issues and explain how HVAC air leakage
contributes to these concerns.
2. Describe the reasons why sealing ductwork is critical to maximizing HVAC system
3. Explain duct sealing options and list the advantages of each.
4. Describe how sealing ductwork can improve indoor air quality.
12:10 - 1:10 PM (1:10- 2:10)
Roof Gardens Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: G106
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden
implementation. Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation as
well as advantages and disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
1:10 PM Lunch sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
2:00 - 3:00 PM (2:20 - 3:20)
Merger Between Membrane Roofing & Fluoropolymer Technology
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: FTR 105
AIA Provider: Seaman Corporation
Presenter: Ed Flaherty
The course is an overview of factory applied coating technology advancements and their transfer from
the Architectural Fabric Industry to the Roofing Industry.
1. Attendees will discuss and learn about aesthetic issues currently surrounding the use of membrane
roofing systems in “High Profile” or highly visible Roof Systems.
2. The attendees will learn about the fundamentals of coating technology.
3. Attendees will learn the basic history and unique properties of fluoropolymers and why they
weather so well.
4. Attendees will learn about advancements in pre-finished roofing technology using high performance
fluoropolymer coating technology.
3:10 - 4:10 PM (3:30 - 4:30)
Efficient Design Utilizing Glazed Decorative Guardrails
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISC05A
AIA Provider: SC Railing
Presenter: Dan Stachel
In this one hour course, we will learn how various styles of glazed guardrails and their hardware can
offer safety and contribute to design freedom. We will also learn about codes related to glazed guardrails
and how these guardrails contribute to sustainability and LEED credits.
1. Identify various types of glazed guardrails and how they can be used in the design of a building to
provide for safety while incorporating pleasing aesthetics.
2. Describe proper railing installation procedures by using correct hardware and equipment.
3. Address challenges that designers might encounter including transitions and various building types.
4. Discuss various safety and accessibility standards of guardrails to comply with ICC and ADA
4:20 - 5:20 PM (4:35 - 5:35)
10 Things You Need to Know about LEED® v4
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: GCE00D| GBCI ID: 0090010451
1 GBCI LEED Specific BD+C CE Hour
1 GBCI LEED Specific General CE Hour
AIA Provider: GreenCE
Presenter: Glen Phillips
Grow your insights into the new LEED® v4 rating system. We explore the fundamental concepts
behind the development of LEED® v4, including the expansion of the system into new market
sectors as well as internationally. This session explores the goal of improved environmental outcomes
for buildings, the addition of a new credit category, and why the shift to building materials transparency.
Participants will leave with a firm understanding of why and how the LEED® green building rating system
1. Describe the evolution of LEED® and critical dates for implementation.
2. List the four main components that make up the framework for LEED® Version 4.
3. Compare the structure of LEED® v4 rating systems to earlier versions of LEED®.
4. Explain the concept of product transparency and how LEED® v4 rewards transparency
5:30 - 6:30 PM (Did not present course)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
(New Course which is still in development will not be presented today in its place will be Steep Sloped).
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: Pat Barton
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.