Scientific Injection Molding
Weekly Event - Every Saturday: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT)
The course emphasis is on scientific approach to a somewhat complex injection molding process in order to simplify and eliminate basic misunderstanding about processing techniques employed today throughout the industry. Students will learn the importance of understanding polymer basics, material flow properties, viscosity-shear rate curve, major plastics variables in molding, decoupled molding techniques, data analysis and interpretation. The course will cover fundamental and scientific approaches to material drying, venting, cooling, use of regrind, how to prepare universal set-up sheet, cycle time optimization, tooling considerations, etc. Use of modern tools and techniques such as mold flow analysis, cavity pressure transducers, and data acquisition tools along with troubleshooting techniques will also be covered.
• Polymer Basics, Plastics Materials and Flow Characteristics
• Part Design Fundamentals
• Overview of Basic Injection Molding Process
• Drying, Material Mixing, Coloring, Regrind Usage
• Major Process Variables
• Decoupled Molding, Universal Set Up Sheet
• Tooling Considerations, Venting, Cooling, Ejection
• Cycle Time Optimization and Troubleshooting Techniques
• Mold Flow Analysis
• Tricks to Improve Productivity
• Modern Injection Molding Operation
Please visit http://www.ceu.csupomona.edu/courses/dynamic_content/courses/default.aspx?courseid=3127 for more information.