San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Lunch and Learn - May 24, 2012
Scala: The Successor to Java?
Language Features, Comparisons with Java, Current and Future Status
What is a Lunch and Learn?
Lunch and Learns are one-hour, casual educational seminars focusing on technical topics and presented by subject matter experts.
About this month's topic - The Scala Language
Scala is language that provides a fusion between object-oriented and functional programming. It runs on the Java VM, and interoperates with Java, but also provides a number of features that Java lacks. For these reasons, interest in Scala has been growing over the past few years. In this presentation, we will discuss the origins of Scala, provide a survey of the language features, and illustrate incorporating Scala within the existing Java environment.
- Overview of Scala: History and Current State
- Tour of Scala Language Features
- Java vs. Scala Code
- Examples Application
Who should attend?
- Business Executives, Directors and Managers
- Software Engineers interested in exploring Scala
- Technical leads
Mike Conner - Mike offers 21 years of experience in software design and development. Michael's background and skills make him an invaluable member to help build a team and design solutions. Michael has worked in roles ranging from Developer to Product Architect.
Steve Hall - Steve offers 14+ years of experience as a senior application engineer, with demonstrated ability to provide successful solutions to a variety of design challenges. He is experienced in a broad range of business domains and environments from Small Group Insurance to Identity Management. He is a champion of TDD, Pair-programming and Continuous Integration.
Thursday, May 24th, 2012
- TGI Friday's Front Row Grill, Miller Park (Directions)
- 11:30 - 1:00
Register online now Lunch will be provided
Need more information? Call Andy Siefkes at (262) 432-7231
When & Where
Centare offers total product strategy, world-class software development, and business agility coaching and training. No matter the offering, we think creatively and collaboratively about:
- Vision – Creating an understanding of the problem being solved and crafting the solution with innovation.
- Delivery – Consistently providing high quality products in an iterative fashion..
- Validation – Ensuring everyone is on the right track resulting in the highest value.