Saturday One-Day Sitting - June 16
5:40am - please plan to arrive before 5:30am
Ends at either 6:00pm or 9:00pm
One-day sittings offer traditional Soto Zen all-day meditation practice. In order to understand the nature of our formal retreats, and to be clear about the details of the practice, please review a typical one-day sitting schedule. We ask those who attend one-day sittings to commit to participating in the complete schedule.
If you will need a chair in the zendo for all or part of the day, please indicate this when you sign up.
Formal oryoki meals are served in the zendo. Meals are included in the cost of the one-day sitting; however, you will need an oryoki set. You may bring your own set, purchase one, rent a set for the day, or use simplified guest bowls.
- To purchase your own oryoki set, please add the "Purchase Oryoki Set" fee to your online reservation. Please contact the City Center Ino to check on availability of sets.
- To rent an oryoki set for the day, please add the "Rent Oryoki Set" fee to your online reservation.
- Guest bowls are available at mealtimes. There is no cost for the use of guest bowls.
The day will include a work period. You should bring clothes to work in. Some of the work may be strenuous. Please let us know if you have limitations on your ability to work.
If this is your first one-day sitting at City Center, please attend the oryoki instruction and orientation on the Friday evening before the sitting:
- Oryoki instruction is at 5:00pm
- Dinner is at 6:30pm, cost for dinner is by donation
- Orientation is at 7:30pm
Please indicate the following when registering:
- Is this your first formal one-day sitting at Zen Center?
- Will you need to use a chair throughout the day?
- Will you need to buy or rent an oryoki set?
- Will you need accommodation at City Center in addition to attending the sitting?
Online registration for the One-Day Sitting will close at 4:00pm on Thursday, June 14.
Overnight accommodations may be available in shared housing for the Friday night before the One-Day Sitting. To reserve, please add the $25 overnight accommodation fee to your reservation.
To inquire, please call the "more information" number, below.
Current Zen Center members receive a 10% discount. Members at the Dharma Pillar and Dharma Lamp level receive complimentary access (advance registration is required). For more information about membership, visit the membership section of our web site or email email@example.com.
Zen Center Resident Discounts
Current San Francisco Zen Center residents attend at a discount.
To inquire, please email the City Center Front Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at 415.863.3136 during office hours: 9:30am-4:00pm Monday-Friday; 8:30am-noon Saturday.
- For help completing registration, please call 888-743-9362 (toll free) or 415-475-9362
For more information, please visit the San Francisco Zen Center web site or call:
- 888-743-9362 (toll free) or
during the hours:
M-F: 8am to 5pm
Sat: 9:30am to 3pm
Closed for lunch 12:30 to 1:30pm (each day)
Starting with select events at City Center, we're adding online registration. This is the first phase, an extended trial, and we'd like to hear from you. How well is it working and how might we improve it? Please let us know what you think!
- For comments and suggestions, please email email@example.com
When & Where
San Francisco Zen Center (SFZC)
Established in 1962 by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi and his American students, San Francisco Zen Center is a Soto Zen Buddhist community with three practice places in the SF Bay Area: City Center, an urban temple in the heart of San Francisco; Green Gulch Farm, in Marin County, where fertile fields meet the ocean; and Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, the first Zen training monastery in the West, in the Ventana Wilderness inland from Big Sur. At San Francisco Zen Center, zazen, study, and work practice are available to a diverse population of students, visitors, lay people, priests, and monks. All are welcome!