The Sanitation Hackathon challenges programmers to develop innovative software solutions that address real-world problems in sanitation.
In December 1-2 2012, technologists will team up with sanitation experts in an intensive marathon to find innovative solutions to challenges facing the sanitation sector.
The event, organized by the World Bank’s Water and Sanitation Program, will take place around the simultaneously in several cities around the world.
For other information please visit : http://www.sanitationhackathon.org/jakarta
Problem statements download : Sanhack-Jakarta Problem Statement
PRIZES up to 20 million !
1.You can formulate and plan your hack idea beforehand
2.No restriction to group numbers, (3 to 4 members should suffice). Think twice before going any higher than that. Personal would also be acceptable.
3.You can code in any language and for any platform. No restrictions
4.Asking for advice from APIs, platform, and language supporters is encouraged
5.No power point slides should be used for pitch. Head on straight to Demo.
6.We are not going to have security guards wandering around, so we’re trusting in your integrity.
1. Will food be provided?
Yes! – Lunch and Dinner for Day 1. Breakfast and lunch for Day 2. There will also be a free flow of coffee and snacks to keep you awake.
2. Is this Hackathon only for experienced developers?
No. Anyone can participate.
3. Will there be hands-on guidance for the Hackathon?
We do have consultants for each API and platform. But they will most likely be very busy. Don’t expect hands on help, do expect quick but thoughtful advice.
4. What should we bring?
a. Laptop with charger
b. For mac users, please bring your VGA cable for pitches
c. Extra clothing
a. Mobile phones of the platform you want to code for.
b. Personal mobile internet
c. Water bottle for drinks
5. How can we form groups?
You can either form groups with your own friends or crash someone’s group when you’re there.
6. What is the judging criteria?
It’s simple – based on usability and design. Bonus points will be given for good pitch and an app built to solve real-world problem.
7. How long is the pitch?
5 minutes max. No powerpoint slides are allowed.
8. So how the hell do we pitch?
Simple. You can pitch/demo through a projector (provided by us), your laptop, or through your mobile device.
9. Are we allowed to make a complete application Document before the Hackathon start?
Yes. That should be fine.
10. For designer/artist, may we bring our own design tools (ex.Wacom) to the Hackathon?
Yes. That should be fine.
11. Are we allowed to do some research related to some available technology that we would like to use? (Writing some code to know how and what can the technology do) and then use them in the hackathon?
Yes. Testing is fine.
12. Is googling (for source code and references) allowed?
Yes. For sure!
Project Submission Guidelines
Project Submission Guidelines Each team must submit their project by Sunday, 2nd December 2012 at 02.00 PM. To be eligible for a prize the team must:
1. Post a summary of their project on www.sanitationhackathon.org
2. Register a profile on www.sanitationhackathon.org for each team member and link that team member to the projects.
3. Post their code on a public code repository (e.g. Github or Google Code) and link to that code repository on their Sanitation Hackathon project page (www.sanitationhackathon.org/projects)
4. Upload a brief PowerPoint presentation to a free slide share service (e.g. slideshared.com) and link to it on their project page on www.sanitationhackathon.org/projects
5. IMPORTANT: Complete the Participant Survey : http://bit.ly/SanHackSurvey. Submission will not count unless survey is also submitted.aluation, may be an appropriate time to complete this survey.