In Puppet Practitioner students will learn why they should manage their Puppet infrastructure the Right Way. Students will learn multiple ways to accomplish tasks in Puppet and how to choose which is most appropriate for a given situation. Students will design and build modules, and extend modules from the Forge. Students will also learn best practices for implementing Roles & Profiles in their infrastructure.
What You Will Learn to Help You Solve Problems
- More advanced Puppet DSL constructs that can be used to write more elegant code.
- Using data structures to create resources programmatically.
- Using custom facts to expose information about nodes.
- The concepts of modularity and composability and how they refer to module design.
- Methods for testing your Puppet code and infrastructure.
- Using MCollective from the command line to automate infrastructure orchestration.
- Troubleshooting techniques and standard log files.
- The Roles & Profiles design pattern and the benefits it offers.
- Several different methods for managing portions of files.
- Why the Anchor Pattern exists and when one should use it or the `contain()` function.
- Creating generalizable modules and contributing them back to the community via the Puppet Forge.
- Sharing functionality between classes using inheritance.
Who Should Attend
In this course, we expect students to have a reasonable level of Puppet experience and are looking to expand their knowledge. Students should have completed Puppet Fundamentals or have the equivalent hands-on experience with Puppet--at least six months to a year.
The course is designed for senior system administrators and DevOps professionals with a solid understanding of configuration management strategies. Students should have a minimum of 1-2 years system admin experience, including in Linux/Unix environments.
Please review the Before Class list prior to registration
Cost : $2,395
Cancellations by Customer
- Training fees will not be refunded for cancellations by Customer at any time.
- You may reschedule or request a credit for a future class of equal value delivered by Puppet Labs up to 2 weeks (14 calendar days) prior to the start of the class. All credits must be used within 1 year of the original class date and a maximum of 2 reschedule/credit requests is permitted per registration.
- You will forfeit the class fees if you cancel your registration less than 2 weeks (14 calendar days) prior to the start of the class. However, you may designate someone else to attend the class in your place at any time up to the start of course provided that Puppet Labs is notified in writing of the substitution prior to the class.
Cancellations by Puppet Labs:
- Puppet Labs reserves the right to reschedule or cancel a class at any time.
- In the event of cancellation by Puppet Labs other than for circumstances outside of its control, you may reschedule for another class of equal value delivered by Puppet Labs or select a full refund of any fees paid for the class.
- In the event Puppet Labs must cancel a class due to circumstances beyond its control (e.g., weather, natural disaster), Puppet Labs will issue Customer a credit for the amounts paid to be used for a future class delivered by Puppet Labs within 1 year of the original class date.
- Puppet Labs is not, in any way, responsible for any other costs incurred by Customer in relation to the class (e.g., travel expenses, lost business time)