San Diego, CA THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED
Wednesday, September 4, 2013 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
San Diego, CA "Continuing Education & Networking Event"
September 04, 2013
6 AIA HSW CE Hours
1 ADA Hour for Licensed California Architects | Accessibility/ADA/Barrier-Free
2 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals
"Gift Card Drawings at Conclusion of Event" - Sponsored by Ron Blank & Associates
08:00 AM Registration Begins
08:30 - 09:30 AM
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems (Course Updated July 2013)
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec
Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: Steve Kelchlin
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a project
earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star qualified.
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
09:40 - 10:40 AM
Sustainable Materials in Restrooms, Locker Rooms and Other Applications
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: ISP10B
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | USGBC Course ID: 0090007573
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Scranton Products
Presenter: Kelly Oester
• Define and describe the material characteristics of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).
• Describe how HDPE recycled content reduces environmental impact.
• List several ways HDPE materials offer both initial and long term improvements to the indoor
air quality of any project.
• Explain how responsible manufacturing is a critical part of any product’s life cycle assessment
and give several examples of these environmental improvements over traditional manufacturing
10:50 - 11:50
Recycled Content Surfacing Materials: Identifying Value Under LEED and Beyond
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: ICS06C
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | GBCI course ID: 0090009501
AIA Provider: Infospec, Inc.
Presenter: Darin McNulty
This one hour live course describes the importance of recycled content surfaces and their
environmental significance including reducing the use of natural resources and improving indoor
air quality. We will compare and contrast traditional and recycled surfacing materials and explain
the importance of “going beyond green.”
11:50 - 12:20 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
12:20 - 01:20PM
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course # AFP1
AIA Provider: Advanced Floor Products (RetroPlate) Provider number J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Today we can give an old worn-out concrete floor “NEW” life through the polishing
and densification process. This course is designed to give an overview of that process,
the marriage of concrete densification of and grinding and polishing concrete with diamonds.
01:30 - 02:30 PM
Expanded Polystyrene - The Economical Choice for Roofing Insulation
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course Number: EPS105
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Tom Huber
• Define and understand how Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is manufactured
• Understand the environmental features and benefits of EPS insulation including recyclability,
LEED, thermal performance, and energy efficiency.
• Understanding key physical properties of the different EPS products used in Roofing applications.
• Understand the features and benefits of the different EPS products: standard, faced, and
composites and which roofing applications they are used in.
• Understand the economic advantages when using EPS in different roofing applications than
other insulations. Case Study examples cited. Understand what key components to consider
when preparing a specification for EPS vs another insulation product in a roofing application:
R-Value, Compressive Strength, Codes, Product Performance, Labor Costs, LEED and
Sustainability, Product Availability and Warranty.
02:40 - 03:40 PM
The Details of Accessible Design and Construction
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course number: IRB00A
1 ADA Hour for Licensed California Architects
Course fulfills 1 Hour state Accessibility/ADA/Barrier-Free
AIA Provider: InfoSpec
Sponsor: Ron Blank & Associates
Presenter: Deke Rife
1. Describe a basic overview of accessible design and construction requirements
2. Identify the typical accessibility oversights made during design and construction
3. Properly detail and specify plans to ensure accessibility compliance is achieved
4. Adjust plans to account for construction of accessible spaces and installation of
5. Identify accessibility mistakes through application examples and explain strategies
on how to avoid them.
03:50 - 04:50 PM TBD
Gift Card Drawings......
"This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes".
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.