Continuing Education and Networking Event
Salt Lake City, UT
August 19, 2014
5 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state requirements
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee served
8:30 - 9:30 AM (8:30 - 9:30 per DR)
EPDM Defining the Standard for 50 years
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: SDR 113
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: George Karch
Participants will learn the features and benefits of EPDM roofing solutions that have been proven to
perform as well as advancements in technology that contribute to higher quality installations and long
term service life.
1. Review Various Studies that demonstrate the sustainability and long term performance of EPDM
2. Understand the innovative EPDM technologies which enhance the design and overall system
3. Learn about the various tools used to quantify the energy savings of EPDM roof systems.
4. Learn about 'energy saving' benefits of a properly designed EPDM roof system.
9:40 - 10:40 AM (9:40 - 10:40)
PVC Roofing Materials - Performance, Construction, Functionality - One of a Kind? / -
1 AIA LU|HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: SDR116
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Ryan Sackville
PVC is one of the most diverse products in the building industry and one of the most
misunderstood. This presentation will help to better understand why PVC is one of the
most versatile and modifiable thermoplastics. With all the different formulations, types,
reinforcements and construction, knowledge of this product type will assist the specifier
in creating better specifications.
1. Attendees of this presentation will learn the history of PVC and learn how truly safe it is
to the environmental and building occupants.
2. Understand how PVC roofing membranes fit within the building code for fire resistance,
fit within industry energy programs offering a more sustainable opportunity, and review
studies on service life of the material, so the designer is more prepared to discuss PVC
options with the building owner.
3. To learn the about the major different components, such as the thickness, scrim choice,
and formula in the manufacturing of PVC roofing membranes and how together they
impact on its longevity and performance.
4. Learn about the latest enhancement option for PVC membranes through the types of
plasticizers and how different plasticizers offer a wider range of durability and mitigate
issues for applicators and building owners.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:50 - 12:00)
Densified Concrete & Densified Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: CDI102
AIA Provider: Curcrete Distribution, Inc.
Presenter: Deke Rife
Learn more about the differences between densified concrete and densified-polished concrete.
Identify how chemical densifiers can enhance the performance of concrete floors and the many alternatives and choices that are available on the market today. Also learn more about densified-polished concrete and how this process takes densified concrete one step further, providing all the benefits of a chemically densified floor, with an aesthetically pleasing decorative finish.
1. Identify the differences between "densified concrete" and "densified-polished concrete."
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as
opposed to chemical densifiers.
3. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and
membranes. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete
and the low life cycle cost factor when compared to other types of flooring materials
and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
4. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional
applications, and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the
floors, when using the right chemical densifier product.
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:00 - 2:00 PM (12:55 - 1:55)
Designing With Rain Screen Wall Systems & Continuous Insulation
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: IMM07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Modern Materials
Presenter: Bob Cuje
In this one hour course, we will discuss the components and advantages of Back-Vented, Open-Joint Rain Screen cladding systems combined with Continuous Insulation and a UV-stabilized water-resistive barrier. Rain screen systems offer new directions in building aesthetics and comply with ASHRAE 90.1, while improving building performance in terms of flame-spread and energy efficiency. We will also learn about codes related to rain screen cladding and continuous insulation, and how certain systems contribute to sustainability and LEED credits.
1. Identify various components of rain screen building enclosure systems and their functions.
2. Describe proper installation in terms of preparation, hardware, and system components.
3. Select optimal continuous insulation product for given applications.
4. Discuss ASHRAE 90.1 and LEED standards met by properly designed back-vented rain screen
2:10 - 3:10 PM (2:00 - 2:55)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
(New Course which is still in development will not be presented today in its place will be Steep Sloped).
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Metals USA
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.