Rio+Social, June 19th, 2012
WHAT IS RIO+SOCIAL?
Rio+Social is an innovative event and global conversation about the nexus of social media, technology, and sustainability. Topics of conversation include how technology and digital and social media can impact the sustainability issues being addressed at Rio+20, including: energy, cities, jobs, food, water, women, health, oceans, and disasters. Rio+Social opens the high- level sessions of Rio+20 to everyone, so we can each have a say in helping define and support UN efforts in creating the future we want.
Key advocates and stakeholders who are driving the discussion around sustainability issues will utilize the Rio+Social platform to bring their messages to a worldwide, digital audience. The forum will take place June 19, 2012, and will feature a lively online discussion in the lead-up to the event, bringing together hundreds of thousands of voices, ideas, and opinions as part of a global dialogue and community.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Rio+Social promises to be one of the most important gatherings of technology, social media, and global leaders in the history of the movement around social good. A unique partnership has come together, including Ericsson, EDP, Mashable, 92Y, and the United Nations Foundation to open the conversation about the impact of technology and social media on sustainability. Rio+Social is all about opening the Rio+20 conversation to all of us. Social media is how we continue that conversation after the meetings in Rio.
• Rio+Social is a unique opportunity to explore the new role of social media and technology in sustainable development.
• The use of technology and digital media has changed the way we interact with each other and the world – our networks are no longer constrained by borders, language, or time zones.
• Digital advancements have become catalysts for increased awareness and more effective calls-to-action worldwide.
• Our efforts to find solutions to the issues that shape how we live are directly connected to innovations in technology and social media.
• Following on the success of the annual Social Good Summit (www.socialgoodsummit.com) held in New York City during the high-level sessions of the UN General Assembly, Rio+20 offers the next major moment at which the entire world will be watching as the global community comes together to develop a new sustainable future.
• Using “social” for “good” is a critical component for achieving positive outcomes at Rio+20 and for incorporating sustainable solutions for our future.
• Rio+Social invites everyone to participate in the Rio+20 conversations and, more importantly, encourages a discussion about tangible, long-term solutions and how people everywhere can take action.
• Rio+Social will bring problem solvers and big thinkers from the digital pace into the conversation by creating opportunities for exchange about networking, along with a platform to learn from game-changing pioneers who will challenge and inspire us to think about how our approach to global change in the 21st century.
• Leveraging the power of social media, Rio+Social takes “crowdsourcing” to unprecedented, global levels of transparency and innovation.
We all have a role in shaping our world’s future. What sustainability themes resonate most with you? What do you have to say?