The Regrarians Open Consultancy (RAC) is a dynamic 2-day program designed to involve participants directly in the delivery of an integrated farm planning and development consultancy led by Darren J Doherty, one of the world's most renowned & experienced farm/land planners.
The RAC is a professional Development program for primary producers, farmers, land owners & land managers who are responsible for managing enterprise planning and/or property development, biological advising and implementation. Participants should leave the RAC experience with a keen understanding of the step-by-step Regrarian process of farm/land planning and development.
Regrarian, a portmanteau of ‘Re generative Agrarian ’, is a term first coined by Regrarians’Darren J. Doherty in 2013 to describe those who are actively undertaking the serious & timely process of regenerating, restoring, rehabilitating, rehabitating, rekindling & rebooting production landscapes across this planet. Regrarianism as a philosophy and methodology per se is ultimately an expansionist and self-determined reflection of Regrarians’ Charter:
1. CLIMATE - Concerns the various climates of an enterprise, be they Human or Biospheric. Effectively these climates create ‘the rules of the game’ in the application of the Regrarian Platform.
2. GEOGRAPHY - The ‘board game’ in the Regrarian Platform. The Geography of a place implies it place in the region along with the physical elements with which it interacts and includes topography, demography & geology.
3. WATER - The water an enterprise has available to it is relatively fixed. We should be concerned with how we make the best use of what’s available and use the Climate & Geography (&capital) as best we can in order to maximise the use of this critical resource.
4. ACCESS - Roads, Tracks & Lanes are very permanent features in landscapes. Their placement defines our movement and should integrate well within the context of the other elements.
5. FORESTRY - Perennial woody plant systems are vital, productive & overarching elements in any landscape. Their assemblies can be complex in their outcomes & their placement is critical to support & provide for other systems.
6. BUILDINGS - An array of structures on any holding are necessary to make the artificial sedentary production systems that humans call agriculture possible. Placement and design should follow that of other elements especially Climate, Geography, Water & Access.
7. FENCING - How we subdivide our landscapes should follow the lines of other more permanent elements. We should concentrate our efforts on using the most flexible fencing infrastructure in order to accommodate the changing opportunities and yields that occur in the landscape.
8.SOILS - Easily destroyed and fortunately easily created, soils are the foundation to the economy of life. The protection of the soil is enhanced by consiering other elements particulary water, forestry and fencing.
9. ECONOMY - The analysis of the economy, its market & access to it has never been easier. The difficulty remains in the terms of trade, particularly with regards compliance, though slowly the tide is turning as humans are incredibly enterprising, adaptable & difficult to quell.
10. ENERGY - Nothing is as fleeting as a photon of light and the primary role of humanity must be to enhance photosynthesis at every opportunity & encourage its positive side-effects, with nearly all energy system that humans access originating from the sun.
Darren J. Doherty has extensive experience across the world in project design, development, management & training. A career-long focus on the profitable & regenerative retrofit of broadacre landscapes has seen Darren acclaimed as a pioneer in this important & often overlooked field.
Darren is a 5th generation Bendigo farmer, developer, author & trainer and has been involved in the design & development of nearly 2000, mostly broadacre projects across 5 continents in close to 50 countries, ranging from 1 million hectare cattle stations in Australia’s Kimberly region to 110,000 acre Estancia’s in Patagonia, EcoVillage developments in Tasmania to Public:Private R&D Agroforestry & Education Projects in Viet Nam, Novel AG Machinery development + Family Farms across the globe with a range of private, corporate, government & non-profit clients.
Our primary responsibility is to the regenerative enhancement of the biosphere's ecosystem processes. Our secondary responsibility is to provide the potential for people to be informed about the regenerative economy, whether it involves their work in agriculture, land management, corporate life, domestic services, manufacturing or other activities that are within the reasonable domain of humans..
This event is generously co-presented and hosted by Shelburne Farms. Shelburne Farms is a nonprofit education organization whose mission is to culivate a conservation ethic for a sustainable future. Our campus is a 1400-acre working farm and National Historic Landmark on the shores of Lake Champlain in Shelburne, Vermont.
Mission Statement: UVM Extension helps individuals and communities put research based knowledge to work.
Equal Opportunity: University of Vermont Extension, and U.S. Department of Agriculture, cooperating, offer education and employment to everyone without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or familial status.
Vermont Edible Landscapes, LLC is a land planning business focused on the development of agroecosystems. We work with clients to design, intall and establish ecologically regenerative landscapes. We approach land management throu an agrarian lens utilizing a variety of diversw biological disciplines. Our services include: Site Evaluation, Planning and Development
When & Where
Vermont Edible Landscapes
As an extension of our land planning business we run a small nursery that offers a wide range of planting materials to help support both residential and agricultural projects. We are solely focused on growing perennial plants that sequester carbon, produce food, fodder or medicine. If we don't have what your looking for we're happy to help you locate it.