Real World Database Configuration and Tuning for SQL Server 2012
Friday, March 14, 2014 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
Mountain View, CA
Speaker: Kevin Kline, Microsoft SQL Server MVP
This full-day training event combines a thorough overview of key concepts followed by hands-on demos to reinforce each conceptual lesson. Since most technologists learn by doing, this training is designed to maximize the time attendees spend working with SQL Server. With ample demos, we’ll cover the spectrum of best practices as they relate to server and database design & configuration and performance tuning.
You will learn:
- The internals and architecture of SQL Server and how they interact during read and, separately, during write operations, including an overview of SQL Server caches, memory buffering and clean-up processes, and user activity handling.
- An introduction to bare-metal tuning of server hardware and storage configurations for database applications, including DASD, RAID, SSD, and SAN architectures.
- Important Windows and SQL Server configuration settings and trace flags, including special considerations for SQL Server running on VMs.
- Methods for benchmarking the performance of alternative configurations and settings.
- Designing databases for performance through indexing, statistics and cardinality, data types, and recovery mode.
- Monitoring and identifying performance bottlenecks and resolving performance issues, including PerfMon, traces and extended events, Dynamic Management Views (DMVs) and Wait Statistics.
- Advanced database structures including “Hekaton” in-memory tables and Columnstore indexes.
Level: 200-300 Prerequisites: Basic understanding of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), and SQL Server architecture and administration.
Kevin Kline is Director of Engineering Services for SQL Sentry, a renowned database expert and software industry veteran, and a long-time Microsoft SQL Server MVP. Kevin is a founder and former president of PASS and the author of popular IT books like SQL in a Nutshell. He has also held management roles at Quest Software and Deloitte.