Jersey City, NJ - 8 HSW and 1 GBCI Credit Hours
- Business & Professional
- Saint Peters University - Dinneen Hall - McIntyre Conference Center - FREE PARKING, Jersey City NJ
'Continuing Education & Networking Event'
June 19, 2014
6 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
1 GBCI General Credit Hour for LEED Professionals
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee will be provided
8:30 - 9:30 AM (8:25- 9:20am verified by DR)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
Presenter: Jeff Cannata
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, Ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define Ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with Ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with Ultracompact surfacing
9:40 - 10:40 AM (9:25 - 10:35)
Roof Gardens Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: G106
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden
implementation. Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation
as well as advantages and disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
1: Understanding the three main types and why one is used over the over.
2: Understanding installation procedure.
3: Understanding common vegetation types.
4: Understanding industry trends and advantage of Roof Gardens.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:45 - 11:45)
Solving Architectural Noise Problems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: 003696
AIA Provider: International Cellulose Corporation
Presenter: Chuck Smith
Course covers general acoustics and benefits of spray-applied acoustic finishes.
1. Types of sprayed acoustic finishes Plaster Cellulose.
2. Dispel any myths about recycled paper (cellulose) as an architectural finish product Visible
Acoustics Invisible Acoustics.
3. Acoustics & Economics Creature Comforts and Worker Productivity Effects of noise on people
Energy Savings Mold, Mildew and Insect Control.
4. The importance of using a spray-applied acoustic finish starts in the design stage.
12:00 PM Lunch will be provided
12:30 - 1:30 PM (12:15 - 1:10)
Decorative Hardwood Plywood & Veneer: Beautiful By Nature
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ICF06B
1 USGBCI Hour for LEED Professionals | Course #: 0090009894
AIA Provider: Columbia Forest Products
Presenter: Richard Poindexter
This course will better inform the architect and designer about decorative hardwood
plywood in terms of its manufacture, uses, types, and sustainable attributes. The architect
and the designer will gain an understanding of the different adhesives and core material
options available, which options are more sustainable, and which options are most commonly
used. Participants will also know what to look for in order to successfully specify decorative
hardwood plywood and how the material can contribute to LEED projects.
1. Discuss the basics of decorative hardwood plywood, how it is manufactured, and its
2. Compare and contrast the different types of cores and adhesives that are used to
manufacture decorative hardwood plywood with an emphasis on urea formaldehyde and
3. Discuss the different types of veneer options offered (including species, grading, and cut).
4. Discuss the questions that need to be asked to successfully specify decorative hardwood
plywood and LEED contribution.
1:40 - 2:40 PM (1:20 - 2:35)
Densified Concrete & Densified Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: CDI102
AIA Provider: Curcrete Distribution, Inc.
Presenter: Deke Rife
Learn more about the differences between densified concrete and densified-polished concrete. Identify how chemical densifiers can enhance the performance of concrete floors and the many alternatives and choices that are available on the market today. Also learn more about densified-polished concrete and how this process takes densified concrete one step further, providing all the benefits of a chemically densified floor, with an aesthetically pleasing decorative finish.
1. Identify the differences between "densified concrete" and "densified-polished concrete."
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as
opposed to chemical densifiers.
3. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and
membranes. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete
and the low life cycle cost factor when compared to other types of flooring materials
and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
4. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional
applications, and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the
floors, when using the right chemical densifier product.
2:50 - 3:50 PM (2:40 - 3:40)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc. Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: Aaron Leland
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
'This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes'
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.