What is Rails Bridge?
A free, two-day Ruby on Rails workshop for women and their friends.
When and Where?
Friday, April 12th - 6 pm to 9 pm and Saturday, April 13th - 9 am to 6 pm at Envy Labs in Downtown Orlando
What will I learn?
- How to install Ruby via RVM or RailsInstaller
- Basic Ruby syntax
- How to try your Ruby code (irb)
- How to go from requirements to a new working Rails application
- How to get your application online
- The basic tools a RoR developer uses (source control, editor, console, local server)
Do I have to attend both days?
Friday night will be the Installfest, where we'll meet one another and install all necessary software. Saturday will be spent learning and writing code. Attendance at the Installfest is mandatory if you want to participate Saturday.
Total programming novices, system administrators, and developers of other languages are welcome to attend. We'll have different classes separated by experience level. Please fill out this survey to help us assign groups: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RMRQ6DJ
This workshop is intended to reach out to women who are new to Ruby and Rails, but men are welcome to attend if they attend as a guest of a woman registered for the event.
What should I bring?
- Your laptop. If you have a choice between a Mac and a Windows laptop, please bring the Mac.
- Power cord for your laptop
- If you already have accounts on Heroku or GitHub, make sure you know your username and password.