Foxx D'Gamma leads a discussion all about radio waves and how to design antennas to work with radio systems. Topics for the night include:
- Principals of Electromagnets and Magnetic Waves
- Basic concepts of Inductance
- Electromagnetic Waves, what they are, and how they work
- Beginnings of a simple radio receiver
- Grasping the concept and measurement of wavelength
- Standing Wave Ratio, and why it can suck
- Modulation, Modulation, Modulation. Explaining carrier and modulation types (benifits and drawbacks)
- Band Plans and Profiling, knowing where you are in the wireless wilderness
- Understanding the Dipole Antenna (and propagation patterns)
- Understanding the J-Pole
- Understanding the Yagi
There's lots of useful information here whether you're getting into ham radio or you're trying to improve the range on your 2.4GHz WiFi router.
Foxx will touch on different aspects of radio technologies that we have in our homes. I will bring in a treasure chest of stuff for people to play with, and expect them to bring anything they may have, or think they have. From Bluetooth devices to FRS radios, to Ham Radio, to Scanners, to Wifi and ZigBee. All of these are just names of technology that operate in the wireless wilderness.