Jersey City, NJ - 7 HSW and 1 GBCI Credit Hours
- Business & Professional
- Saint Peters University - Dinneen Hall - McIntyre Conference Center - FREE PARKING, Jersey City NJ
'Continuing Education and Networking Event'
August 12, 2014
4 AIA Credit Hours towards your state license
1 GBCI LEED Specific General CE Hour
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee served
8:30 – 9:30 AM
Understanding HPL and the Benefits of Rainscreen Applications
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: TNA14
AIA Provider: Trespa North America
Presenter: Steve McKenney
Identify HPL through the manufacturing process and product performance, as well as the principles
of back-ventilated rainscreen cladding. Evaluate guidelines for proper design and construction of
rainscreen applications. Distinguish appropriate cladding for back-ventilated rainscreen cladding.
1. Identify HPL through the manufacturing process and observation of product performance using
diagrams of product construction and testing results to evaluate if the product is applicable for
2. Apply rainscreen cladding methods to current projects. By demonstrating advantages such as
improved ventilation, reduced moisture accumulation and heat gain, as well as protection of load
bearing walls, participants will be able to evaluate the potential benefits of using rainscreen
3. Design and construction of rainscreen systems by observing various attachment systems, panel
characteristics, building codes, and how these components interact. Diagrams, project examples,
detailed sections, and testimonials on system performance will serve as case studies for learning
and identifying essential elements within rainscreen systems.
4. Experiment with integrated decorative surfaces that use pigmented resins. Participants will learn the
benefits of materials that go through an Electronic Beam Curing process.
9:40 - 10:40 AM
The Health Product Declaration (HPD): An Ingredient List for the Built Environment
AIA course number: GCE00F | 1 AIA HSW CE Hour
GBCI ID: 920000114 | 1 GBCI CE Hour (pending)
AIA Provider: GreenCE
Presenter: Glen Phillips
The average American spends the vast majority of their time indoors. However, most people are not unaware of the numerous chemicals and materials they are exposed to on a daily basis, nor do they understand the hazards associated with these substances. As such, the need for a standardized way of reporting the health impacts of building materials is desperately needed. In this one-hour course, the design professional will become familiar with the Health Product Declaration TM (HPD), a material ingredient reporting standard developed under the guidance of the HPD Collaborative TM. We will explore how HPDs contribute to the creation of healthier buildings, how to read and interpret an HPD, and how the HPD can contribute to points in LEED v4.
· Define the objective of the HPD
· Discuss why the HPD is important for human health, and how it can contribute to healthier
· Explain how products with an HPD can contribute to points in LEED v4
· Recognize the HPD format, and understand what constitutes a “compliant” HPD
· Interpret the information presented in an HPD and appreciate how HPD can be used by design
10:50 - 11:50 AM
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton’ by Cosentino
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Pothara In
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical resistance,
absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:00 - 2:00 PM
New Course Under Development - Pending Approval
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: TBD
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Metals USA
2:10 - 3:10 PM
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.