December 11, 2012
Portfolio Critiques with Lucy Ruth Cummins and Kerry Martin
Three portfolios will be chosen by lottery and critiqued in public by Senior Art Director Lucy Ruth Cummins of Simon & Schuster and Kerry Martin, Senior Designer at Clarion Books.
The portfolio must be between 8 and 12 pages to be eligible for critique.
The following tips from art directors should help you put together a portfolio:
1) Include ONE style in your portfolio; if you can do other styles, save them for another portfolio. This is because art directors looking to hire someone for a book prefer to know what sort of style they’re going to get. But if you are trying to figure out which style to pursue, among a few, include them and we can discuss what's most successful in a range of pieces, for those who are starting to get their direction sorted out.
2) Include a variety of compositions.
3) Try to have 3 pictures that include the same character, to show that you know how to draw characters from different angles with different expressions.
4) Include at least one picture that shows you can convey movement.
5) If you can draw children well, try to include pictures that show this skill.
Please note that you do NOT need a PayPal account for PayPal to accept your payment: PayPal will accept your credit card without an account.
Walk-ins: Although we do accept walk-ins, events often sell out so pre-registering is recommended.
Event details: Doors open at 7:15pm. Seating is limited to the first 75 people, including seats sold by check.
Late arrivals: If you are pre-registered and have not checked in by 7:25pm, we reserve the right to assign your seat to someone else.
To pre-register by check: Please note on the check which event you are attending, make the check payable to SCBWI Metro NY, and mail to: SCBWI Metro NY, PO Box 1475, New York, NY 10276-1475. In order not to overtally, we will only accept checks that arrive a month before the event. After that, checks will be returned and only credit cards will be accepted.
Last-minute changes: Please check the calendar closer to the event in case of unforeseeable last-minute changes.
Refunds will only be given 24 hrs prior to the event.