San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Please register on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/events/556465267718484/. Next time I'll use Facebook instead of Eventbrite.
Want to build apps for iOS, Android, and Windows 8? I'll show you how using tools that will get an app built for you in just a few hours. Come to this evening event and I'll show you how to set up Windows 8 on PCs or Macs using Parallels. You don't need any special knowledge in advance. Just show up. Feel free to come late or leave early. Free pizza!
Later in March we'll host a day-long hackathon at SFSU with cash prizes. More on that later.
Here are the tools I'll talk about:
- Construct2 is a cross-platform gaming engine that targets iOS, Android, HTML5, Windows 8, and Windows Phone. You can build a game in a day, with no prior coding experience. The same game will run on iOS, Android, Windows 8, and Windows Phone. Free license for any student who publishes an app on Windows 8.
- TouchDevelop is a new way to build apps from your phone, tablet, or computer. You can build web apps which run in any brower, and you can also convert them to Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps. I'll show you how. Professor Arno Puder from SFSU has a great project called WebAppBooster which lets TouchDevelop work with Android phones.
- Free pizza
- Students earn $100 for every Windows 8 app they publish, up to 20 apps. That's $2000. There are restrictions on this, which I'll mention at the event. Check out the Facebook page for more: http://aka.ms/Win8appmadness.
- I'll show you how to run Windows 8 on your PC or Mac
- Free earbuds
- Free copy of Halo 4 for anyone publishing an app before Feb 28. Ask me for the details.
The event takes place at SFSU HUM 108 and is open to anyone affiliated with SFSU. Please register here on Eventbrite so I know how much pizza to buy. You can still come if you don't register though.
To get started ahead of time, do this:
- Create a Microsoft Account at http://signup.live.com. This used to be called a Windows Live ID. If you have a Hotmail, Live.com, or Xbox account, then you already have a Microsoft account.
- If you're on Windows, download Construct2 from http://www.scirra.com
About me: I'm Matt Harrington, a Developer Evangelist for Microsoft in San Francisco. More about me is on my blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrington/about.aspx. I hold office hours in San Francisco or on Skype to help people build apps for Windows 8. You can follow me on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/mh415.
Questions? Reach me here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matt-harrington/contact.aspx.