Pig Island - 2014
Saturday, September 6, 2014 from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
ONE TICKET GETS YOU EVERYTHING! ALL THE FOOD/WINE/BEER/CIDER AND FUN YOU CAN HANDLE! Everyone's a VIP at Pig Island! The event is BYOBlanket (lots of places to spread out, so bring your picnic blanket).
Food Karma Projects is happy to announce the FIFTH ANNUAL PIG ISLAND! Showcasing the best of New York State local farmers, chefs, brewers and vintners all dedicated to bringing home the bacon, Pig Island returns to the Red Hook waterfront.
Pig Island pairs NY State hogs with NYC chefs to bring the best of New York State to New York City.
Confirmed chefs/dishes include
- Tavern on the Green Chef Katy Sparks and Adam Shepherd will serve Glazed Pork Belly on Chilled Ramen Noodles, Braised Pork Shoulder Reuben-style Rillettes, Smoked Ham over Green Mango Sticky Rice, and Shaved Roasted Pork Loin
- Michael Jenkins (Butter) will serve up a Chorizo taco with watermelon and Serrano chile sauce
- Chef Julian Alonzo and Paul Neuman (Neuman’s Kitchen) have created the mouth-watering “Three Little Piggies”: Roasted pig, late summer Jersey corn, bacon, crispy pigs’ ears, and clams
- Shanna Pacifico (Pacifico’s Fine Foods) is serving Brazilian style Chicharone de Porco (crispy fried pork bits that are marinated in passion fruit and lime) served on top spicy late-summer slaw, topped with seasoned Farofa (crispy yucca flour)
- Smoked Pig Pizza: Emily in Clinton Hill will be smoking a pig in their pizza oven and serving it on homemade pizza dough
- Chris Rendell of Flinders Lane will serve Roasted Pork Salad with Rau Ram, shallots, and Hot & Sour Dressing
- John Rattliff of Ends Meat is making Pork Nuggets served with kraut and pickled mustard
- Chef Joe Dobias returns with Garlic Pork Cemita, garnished with green salsa and queso fresco
- Ben Schneider (The Good Fork) and St. John Frizell (Fort Defiance) will team to serve up a pit-roasted whole “Merpig” (a roast pig wrapped in seaweed)
- Billy Durney and Shane McBride of Hometown BBQ and Balthazar making Carribean jerk bao and Cochon au lait bao
- Martin Høedholt and Pablo Ventura of Revolving Dansk and Dassara Ramen will cook up two dishes: 1. Danish-Asian crackling pork, topped with red cabbage and sweet Scandinavian pickles on a toasted baguette; 2. Copenhagen Street Dog, a mini grillpølser with danish remoulade, crispy fried onions, and salty Lakrids
- Jimmy’s No. 43’s Davide Navarro will cook Cochinita Pibil, a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish from the Yucatán Península
- Peter Giannakas of Ovelia will cook Kontosouvli (a Greek-style spit-roasted pork)
- Thomas Perone of The Pig Guy NYC has two dishes planned: 1. Italian Spring Rolls with Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone-Horseradish Mayo; 2. Roast Pork Sliders with a Lime Chimmichurri.
- Jared Male (Randall’s Barbecue) will serve chopped whole hog sliders topped with Randall's barbecue sauce and vinegar slaw
- William Kooper (Route 66 Smokehouse) will make smoked crispy pork terrine with pickled veggies
- Sam Barbieri (Waterfront Ale House and Fuhgeddaboutit BBQ) will offer up whole hog sliders with crisp pork belly and mustard slaw
- Danny Mena and Ethan Smith of Hecho en Dumbo will serve Volcanes de Chorizo Casero: Crisp corn tostadas topped with molten queso Chihuahua with Chorizo (either a green sausage made with chile jalapeno and cilantro or a red with cinnamon and chile piquin) topped with Chicharron, fried crisp pork rinds
- Chef Jesse Jones Pulled will serve pork strudel with pickles and sweet Hannah's BBQ sauce
- Ted “The Butcher” Nigro doing carving demos with sponsor WÜSTHOF
- Matt Deliso (Blue Ribbon Bakery) will cook up "PLT" Pork, lettuce and tomato w/ Pickled chilies and Basil Mayo on a Challah Bun.
- Christophe Hille (Fleisher’s Meats)
- Tim Cavaretta and Isabelle Leighton (Bittergreen)
- Jon Bratton (NYC Hot Sauce) teaming with Justin Brunwasser (Friedman’s Lunch) will cook up pork belly lettuce cup finished with a peach chutney, a dollop of "hog’s head" cheese, topped off with pork skin crackle and NYC Hot Sauce
- Bill Fletcher (Fletcher’s Brooklyn Barbecue)
- Evan Hanczor and George Weld (Egg)
- Others TBA
Event features include:
• The best chefs (25+) from all five boroughs going hog wild with locally-sourced pigs from Flying Pigs Farm
• Great local craft beer by Sixpoint, Singlecut Beersmiths, Barrier Brewing, and others
• Hard ciders from the Hudson Valley
• Special cooking demonstrations TBA
• Music all day with live bands, TBA
• Best-of-show prizes presented courtesy of our sponsor, Wüsthof
• Free entry and ferry service for kids under 12 with paying adult
• Vegetarian-friendly side stations
Net proceeds benefit Added Value Farm. For a great photo recap of last year's Pig Island, please check out this site. Details on chefs, our famous Union Square pig pick-up, more to follow.
PIG ISLAND TAKES PLACE RAIN OR SHINE; THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR PIG ISLAND.