Parenting, Teaching, and Treating Children with Behavioral Challenges: Tier 1 Training
Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM - Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Parenting, Teaching and Treating Children
with Behavioral Challenges:
The Collaborative Problem Solving Approach
Dr. Stuart Ablon
August 7, 8, and 9
Tuesday and Wednesday, 9am - 5pm
Thursday, 9am - 12 Noon.
This three-day intensive training is intended for educators, parents, and clinicians who have some prior exposure and are interested in becoming more proficient in the innovative and evidence-based to understanding and helping children and adolescents with behavioral challenges as described in the book, Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem Solving Approach.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will be able to describe the following:
- How different explanations for and interpretations of explosive / noncompliant behavior can lead to dramatically different approaches to intervention.
- Why compliance does not come naturally to all children, and the disparate factors which may contribute to the development of explosive / noncompliant behavior.
- The importance of matching treatment ingredients to the needs of the individual children, families, and teachers.
- A conceptual and practical model of intervention – flowing from social learning theory – for dealing more effectively with children who exhibit explosive/non-compliant behavior at home, school, and in residential settings.
- The necessity of a multimodal, collaborative approach to intervention incorporating medical, psychological, educational, and social components.
Dr. J. Stuart Ablon, Ph.D., is Director of Think:Kids in the Department of Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) where he specializes in the treatment of children and adolescents, who have behavioral challenges, and their families. He is also Director of the Psychotherapy Research Program at MGH and Associate Clinical Professor of Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Ablon is co-author of the acclaimed bestselling book, Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach.
Earn 1.5 CEU’s
When & Where
Bank Street College Professional Development Office