Outdoor Adventure Day
Saturday, October 6, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
Join us to explore what mountain biking in NYC is like! All skill levels welcome to ride the seven miles of beginner and advanced singletrack found in Cunningham Park in Queens!
Highlights include ...
- Demo bikes: Discover the fun of the newest Trek 2013 bikes, from our demo trucks straight from the factory. (Mountain, road, cyclocross, both men's and women's!) Register in advance to reserve a spot, or take yours for a spin and then try it against Trek's.
Bikes include -
ROAD - Domane 6.2, Madone 6.2 (mens + womens), Lexa SLX
MTB - Superfly 100 SL Elite, Rumblefish Pro, Stache 8, Fuel EX 9.8, Remedy 9.8, Slash 9, Session 9.9, Cali, Lush SL, Lush Carbon
CROSS - Ion, Cronus Pro
- Kids rides: In honor of Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day, we are hosting family-friendly rides for both beginner and intermediate levels. You and the kids can bring your own bike, or pre-register to borrow a complimentary bike. An instructor will go over how to ride and enjoy the trails, as well as topics such as healthy living through cycling, geography, the enviroment and what we can all do to help preserve it. Adults must be present during the kids ride, but are not required to participate.
- Women's clinics: Our wonderful Mel Bowen from Trek Bikes will be leading women's clinics to introduce techniques for handling, braking and rolling with power and control! All skill levels welcome.
- Advanced rides and pump track clinics: Take your skills to the next level. Ride with a group for a fun, high-performance route through the trails of Cunningham. Then, stop by the pump track as former pro racer Tom Oates teaches advanced handling and performance techniques.
- Meet MTB friends: Musette Bakery, IMBA, CLIMB, Peak Bikes, NYCMTB and more. Plus, don't miss the chance to meet Gary Fisher!
Rides and demos bikes are open and available from 10am to 3pm. You are welcome to come by anytime!
In addition, clinics and guided rides are scheduled below. More details coming soon:
10:30am - Advanced ride
11am - Pump track (Tom Oates)
10:30 am - Kids ride (beginner)
11am - Kids ride (intermediate)
11am - Women's clinic (Mel Bowen)
12pm - Beginner's clinic
12:30pm - Kids ride (beginner)
1pm - Kids ride (intermediate)
1pm - Pump track (Tom Oakes)
1:30pm - Women's clinic (Mel Bowen)
Weather plan: Event will cancel if case of heavy rain. If there is a light rain, we are a go.
How to participate -
You are welcome to bring your own bike, or borrow one of ours (kids and adults)! The event is free and open to all riders of all ages.
Advanced registration is encouraged as clinics and demo bikes will fill up. You can always edit your registration status or clinic selection at a later date. More info will be provided on bike demo times and availability. Trek Bikes will provide all demo bikes. Trips for Kids will provide all kids demo bikes, as well as a few adult bikes. You are welcome (and encouraged!) to bring your own bike and try it on all the trails.
Participation in all clinics is free.
What to bring -
Come dressed for the occasion: Comfortable shoes and clothing is encouraged. No open toed shoes. Helmets required. We will have a few helmets to borrow, but recommend bringing your own.
You can demo a bike or try your own! Just be sure you have knobby tires to handle the dirt. Trek demo bikes are free for test rides; no waiver needed if you are riding your own bike.
For kids' rides, parents will need to accompany their kids to the trail head and sign waiver, but do not need to ride the trail. If your kid does not have a mountain bike, please contact TFK Metro NY - a small supply is available, but are available only with pre-registration. (You can also request a bike when registering through this event page. We will send you confirmation to work out the details.)
How to get there -
Cunningham Park is incredibly accessible!
Our demo trucks and host tents are at the 210th Street playground, at 210th St @ 73rd Avenue (just around the corner from the trailhead, at 210th St and 67th Avenue.)
> By car: From NYC, take 495 to exit 26, Francis Lewis Blvd. Take a right on Francis Lewis, going south. Turn left on 73rd Ave. Event area is at 210th and 73rd ave. From Long Island, take the Long Island Expressway to exit 27, Clearview Expressway, and go south. Exit at 73rd Avenue, turn left. Go to 210th St and turn left. The trailhead is at the corner of 67th Avenue; the demo and registration area is at 210th and 73rd Avenue. On-street parking is available.
> By train: Take the F train to Jamaica/179 Street. Ride east on Hillside Avenue, then turn left on 188th St (Saul Weprin St.) Right on 73rd Avenue to the demo area at 210th St.
> By LIRR: Cunningham is a quick 5-minute ride from the LIRR, accessible from both Atlantic and Penn Station terminals. Take the Bayside stop and ride south to Cunningham Park, or exit at Hollis and ride north.
> By bus: From midtown, take the express bus QM6 from one of two stops, 6th Avenue and 36th Steet or 3rd Avenue and 57th street. Exit at Union Turnpike stop and 193rd Street. (Bus is the quickest route!)
About the hosts -
This event is organized by Trips for Kids NY and Bicycle Habitat, to support getting more New Yorkers finding new ways to enjoy the great outdoors. This is a family-friendly event, appropriate to all ages and all skill levels. With adult rides and clinics sponsored by Trek Bikes, we will also be doing kids rides and clinics to celebrate of the International Mountain Biking Association's national "Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day".
Trips for Kids NY is a NYC not-for-profit organization that teaches kids to bike in the great outdoors. Proceeds from event raffles will benefit TFK. Bicycle Habitat is a supporter of Trips for Kids and its mission to make bikes more accessible to everyone.
> Other sponsors: Trek Bikes, IMBA, NYCMTB, CLIMB, Friends of Cunningham Park, Brooklyn Boulders, Transportation Alternatives, Bike MS, Dirt Rag magazine
About the trails -