Orange County Social Entrepreneurship Competition Showcase
Saturday, May 10, 2014 from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM (PDT)
The Orange County Social Entrepreneurship Competition seeks business plans for an emerging idea or replicable model from an individual or existing organization designed to solve challenges in a wide range of areas including but not limited to poverty, homelessness, environment, urban revitalization, health, and education.
Competition finalists will present their ventures to the public at a presentation showcase
on May 10. Following the competition, finalists will benefit from consultation services in preparation for an investor pitch in September.
Finalists from this first of its kind competition will have a rare opportunity to pitch their ideas to social impact investors from across the nation, with a chance to get funded upwards of $100,000.
The Orange County Social Entrepreneurship Competition will catalyze a movement of social entrepreneurs that are sustained by mentors, coaches, and one another. Through coaching and financial support, the competition will advance new ideas and existing organizations that create and grow new solutions to persistent social problems.
What Is Social Entrepreneurship?
Social entrepreneurship is the process of pursuing solutions to complex social problems through sustainable business models.
The social entrepreneur is a tenacious leader with a pragmatic vision and a solution that address a clear social problem. Social entrepreneurs address systems — not just the symptoms of a problem they seek to address, and their business model prioritizes social impact while generating a sustainable funding stream. (Published in Stanford Social Innovation Review, 2013)
Guidelines for Submitting Your Plan
• The competition is open to individuals, groups, non-profit and for-profit entities inside and outside of Orange County.
• The submission deadline is April 18, 2014. All applicants will have access to webinar trainings and online resources to guide the preparation of their applications.
• Complete your application at: entrepreneurship.saddleback.edu
• The entrepreneur demonstrates personal tenacity and brings relevant experience to their entrepreneurial endeavor
• The solution addresses a clear social problem
• The solution influences systems, not just symptoms of the problem
• The model indicates a readiness to prioritize social impact over financial gain
• The model generates a sustainable funding stream
The Orange County Social Entrepreneurship Competition offers participants the opportunity to be awarded upwards of $125,000 in combined cash, prizes, coaching and investment services.
• Cash prizes ranging from $1,000 — $10,000 will be awarded to the finalists in each category
• Each finalist will receive an investor assessment and coaching services valuing more than $20,000 to help prepare for the final pitch to potential investors in September
• Scholarship to enroll in a social entrepreneurship or other business course at Saddleback College
The Showcase event will be held at UCI in the Social Science Lecture Hall - SSLH 100. Use the red arrows in the map below for directions.
When & Where
Saddleback College Entrepreneurship & Innovation Learning Center
The Saddleback College Entrepreneurship & Innovation Learning Center provides coaching, educational resources, and networking opportunities to help launch Orange County small-business leaders toward entrepreneurial success. The Center was founded to support, develop and connect budding entrepreneurs with the solutions and resources they need to launch their new business ideas and innovation to success.