ALTHOUGH ONLINE SALES HAVE NOW CLOSED, YOU MAY STILL REGISTER BY PHONE UNTIL 4 PM FRIDAY, MARCH 15!
CALL 614-763-0040 NOW!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This program is designed specifically for Psychiatrists, other Physicians, including Primary Care and Pediatricians, as well as Psychologists, Nurses, Social Workers, Counselors and other Mental Health Professionals.
Annually, the Ohio Psychiatric Physicians Association’s Program and Continuing Education Committee plans a day-long continuing education program for OPPA members to needs-based, cutting-edge scientific advances in the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric disorders, taught by experts who are recognized both locally and nationally. The following needs help to lay the framework and background for this year’s program:
Attachment theory has elucidated many important issues in animal and human development and psychopathology. John Bowlby’s theory described the intense innate need of the infant to affectionately connect with the primary caregiver. This connection provides the foundation for biological survival and psychological development and is a powerful motivator in the organization of the infant’s mental life and his or her behavior. A person’s sense of self, world view, and the quality of future interpersonal relationships, is significantly influenced by the attachment experience. Attachment theory has also defined the contributions to, and the enduring complications of, dysfunctional attachment and deepened the ability of psychiatrists to help their patients resolve these experiences.
Deep Brain Stimulation
“In any given year between 13.1 and 14.2 million U.S. Citizens will experience an episode of major depressive disorder (MDD). Although approximately half of these persons seek help for this condition, only 20 percent (10 percent of the total population with depression) receive adequate treatment. Even then only 30 percent of those receiving adequate treatment reach the treatment goal of remission. The remaining 70 percent will either have a response without remission (about 20 percent) or not respond at all (50 percent). This latter group, whose depressive disorder does not adequately respond following acute phase treatment, appears to have a harder to treat depression. In particular patients with two or more failed treatment s are a common and challenging presentation to psychiatric and primary care clinics. For these patients, expert consensus includes considering a diagnosis of treatment resistant depression.”
“Patients with treatment resistant depression incur the highest direct and indirect medical costs among those with MDD, and these costs increase with the severity of the illness.” (National Guideline Clearinghouse – Expert Commentaries – May, 7, 2012)
A potential way of improving treatment of treatment resistant depression is through the use of predictive biomarkers and clinical variables. Strategies such as switching antidepressants, combination therapy using lithium, atypical antipsychotics, and other pharmacological agents can improve outcomes. An area where there are practice gaps is in understanding and recognition of other technologies to treat TRD such as Deep Brain Stimulation and Vagal Nerve Stimulation, which have shown promising early results. (Journal of Psychopharmacology May 2012)
Alzheimers & Dementia
It is estimated that more than five million Americans may have Alzheimer’s disease today. As the number of older adults continues to increase over the next decades, the annual incidence of Alzheimer’s, dementia and other dementias is predicted to nearly double (the aging of the baby boom generation is projected to result in an additional 10 million people with AD). Today someone develops AD every 68 seconds, by 2050 there is expected to be a new case every 33 seconds, or nearly one million new cases per year. According to the Alzheimer’s Association 2012 Facts and Figures Report, the socioeconomic burden associated with AD and other dementias in the United States alone is projected to be > 200 billion per year. Currently AD is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States and the fifth leading cause in Americans > 65 years old.
“In response to this looming public health crisis in the US and worldwide, a growing number of countries are increasing their investment in all aspects of AD research, including basic research into the root causes of the disease, improved diagnostics, discovery of novel therapeutics and better ways to deliver care.” As the numbers of these cases increase while we have a predicted shortage of geriatric psychiatrists, the gaps in knowledge of Alzheimer’s in adult psychiatrists becomes more evident. It is imperative we all become more familiar with the diagnosis, current standard of treatment, as well as upcoming ways to identify, and treat this burdensome illness. (Alzheimer’s and Dementia – Alzheimer’s Association Report; 2012 Alzheimer’s disease facts and figures).
Paranoia and Violence
Pick up the newspaper any day, and increasingly, it seems that we are hearing more and more about a mentally ill person committing acts of violence. Mentally ill persons who commit homicide often strike out in misperceived self-defense due to paranoid delusions. Paranoid personality disorder is a neglected topic in clinical psychiatry, and is often the subject of diagnostic confusion and therapeutic pessimism. Many clinicians fail to realize the building crescendo of paranoid fear may result in a high risk, high stakes situation. It is becoming increasingly important that psychiatrists learn more about the importance of assessing and identifying the level and degree of paranoia as a major task in assessing the risk of violence in a person.
AGENDA - Sunday, March 17, 2013
7-8 am Registration/Visit Exhibits
8-9 am OPPF Business Meeting and Recognition of Research Award Recipients - (Non-Members can register and visit exhibits during this time; continental breakfast will be provided)
9-9:15 am Welcome & Presentation of Distinguished Psychiatrist Awards - Karen Jacobs, DO, President and Program Chair
9:15-10:45 am Toward a Psychobiological Understanding of Attachment and its Disorders - Jerald Kay, MD - Professor and Chair of Psychiatry, Boonshoft School of Medicine, Frederick A. White Distinguished Professor, Wright State University, Dayton.
10:45-11:15 am Break/Visit Exhibits
11:15-12:15 pm The Use of Neuromodulation for the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders - Donald A. Malone, Jr., MD - Professor and Chair, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Cleveland Clinic
12:15-1:30 pm Lunch - OPPA Business Meeting with Installation of Officers; includes OPPAC Annual Meeting
1:30-2:30 pm Latest Advances in Alzheimer's Diagnosis and Treatment - Jeffrey Cummings, MD - Director, Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Research, Las Vegas, NV and Cleveland, OH
2:30-3 pm Break/Visit Exhibits
3-4:30 pm Paranoia and Violence - Phillip J. Resnick, MD - Professor of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
4:30 pm Adjourn
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of American Psychiatric Association (APA) and Ohio Psychiatric Physicians Association. The APA is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Psychiatric Association designates this live activity for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Cancellation policy: If you are not able to attend, we encourage you to send someone in your place. Refund of the registration fee, minus a $50 administrative charge, will be allowed if request for cancellation is received in writing by March 1, 2013. After this date, no refund will be made.
Please note: because we cannot always control the temperature in hotel meeting space, we encourage you to dress in layers to better accommodate personal comfort needs.
Americans with Disabilities Act - If you need assistance related to sight, sound or mobility, please contact the OPPA office as soon as possible so that we may accommodate reasonable requests.